StoreEasy Storage

StoreEasy 1650 - can't add unallocated drives to pool

Parmanu
Occasional Visitor

StoreEasy 1650 - can't add unallocated drives to pool

Hello everyone,

I have a SE1650 with WSS2016 in RAID 5 configuration (5 disks x 4 TB installed - 4 in use and 1 as spare). I want to expand the storage size hence I have bought 4 more HDDs out of which 3 have been installed in bays and 1 is with me as spare.

StoreEasy pool manager edit pool option doesn't allow me to extend the pool to include these new disks. The "Next" button is greyed out, it also says that "The existing pool has a RAID level that is not supported by the proposed pool". How is get around this issue?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: StoreEasy 1650 - can't add unallocated drives to pool

You can refer the below Admin guide and refer section "Smart Storage Administrator" (Page no 96) and "Expanding Storage" (page no 99),

http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1033109498.pdf

If Pool Manager not helping then you can take help from SSA

HPE SSA replaces the existing HPE Array Configuration Utility (ACU) and has an updated design for HPE ProLiant servers that enhances the storage experience.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Parmanu
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Subhajit, I will have a look.

I have another (but often discussed to death) query. My RAID 5 setup (is used as archive storage) has around 10 TB of data which will grow slowly. Should I

1) continue with existing RAID 5 setup - 4 TB x 9 disks (7 in RAID 5, 1 as hot and 1 as cold spare)

2) create a RAID 6 setup with 4 new disks, transfer data from RAID 5. Scrap it and merge with RAID 6 - 4 TB x 9 disks (7 in RAID 6, 1 as hot and 1 as cold spare)

You can take data backup, delete and re-create bigger logical drive with more drives to accomodate all data. You can refer Administrator Guide and refer section Pool Sets to get all options of logical drive as per RAID options.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo