StoreEasy Storage
1752570 Members
5427 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Surestore HD server 4000 and Win2K?

CA734348

Surestore HD server 4000 and Win2K?

My Win2K systems are taking a very long time to open the \\share folder on the NAS 4000. Other Windows systems, 95-98-NT, work fine. Any suggestions would be great!!!
10 REPLIES 10
scott barnett

I am having exactly the same problem - have just looked here hoping to find a solution.

All other O/S are fine, just 2000. Displaying directory contents takes an age, as does opening files.

I believe it may have something to do with the way 2000 clients register with DNS, but any exact answers would be aprreciated !
Bob Cheeseman

Hi,

Did you ever resolve this problem? I am having the same trouble. Somewhat embarrasing as I sold the HD Server 2 years ago and recently advised the client to upgrade to w2k. Now the users are stuck.

Thanx

Bob Cheeseman bob@kingkom.com.

Please reply off list if possible.
CA759683

All,

The issue being described is due to ACLs (Access Control Lists) in W2K. Anytime a file is accessed it checks the user against the ACL on the DNS server even if there is nothing in it specific to the file or user in question.

I'm looking into a work around for you all, but it doesn't look good at this point. Keep checking here for any new info. on this topic.

For info. on HP's current NAS offerings please see:

www.hp.com/go/nas

Cheers,
John

BR690887

Did you ever resolve this problem?, we have som HD Server 4000 connect to our network and since we have update all the client to win2K we can't use the NAS?
This is a very terrific problem.............!
CA801426

I jsut thought if John already found a solutio n around the Win 2K System

CA734348

No work around yet! The only fix would have to come from HP. The BIOS has to be updated and they have no plans on doing that. If you figure anything out let me know. Thanks
Rob Nevins

I had this problem too. I fixed it by going with user-level permissions not share level.

If you still have problems, email me at:

rnevins@fpvideo.com
BR702603

Hi,

we have the same problem, and changing from user level to share level is not really satisfying.
So we are thinking of running this NAS under Linux, in order to use it further on.
Mayby it works because the OS of the NAS s a stripped down Unix, as I found out.

Does somebody has experience with this?

Thanks
BR702603

Due to the problems with the user authentification, we removed the NAS from the domain and startet a working group unter NT4.0 within the domain.
Then the "Enable Passthrough Authentication" was removed. Therefore the user's password has to be renewed.
This results that the NAS is runing in a domain with Win 2K, up to now if the "Passthrough Authentication"-Server is a NT4.0-Server. If it is running without this NT-Server, we did not checked.
Therefore the users have to log in the domain and afterwards on the NAS, but in difference to the share level, permissins can be set in dependence of a group.
It's not perfect, but it works