StoreEasy Storage
1752436 Members
5820 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade the HP SureStore AutoBackup PC100 ?

HOANG_9

Upgrade the HP SureStore AutoBackup PC100 ?

Hello,

I know the HP SureStore AutoBackup PC100, isn't supported, but I would like to know if someone have already tested a remplacement of the original hard disk inside the machine ?

Because, I have make a test after duplication with Drive Image from a HDD 40GB to 300GB : it's work BUT I have a message "Violation capacity license...".

Maybe someone have a OS Soft upgrade ?

Best regards,
Van.
4 REPLIES 4
BR742453
Frequent Advisor

Hello Van,

What you have done is from my point of view totally impossible.

Could you tell me how and with what applications you transferred the image from a 40GB disk to a 300GB disk? There are several hidden partitions on the HDD's, how many are there on your 300GB disk?

There are 2 HDD's in a Autobacup PC100 and on both HDD's is the OS preinstalled. It's a stripped version of NT. The master works and if fails the slave drive OS picks up where the master left. Giving you an error that you need to replace the primary HDD.

-Did you replace them both or just 1?
-Did you replace the top or lower one?
-What software version are you running on the Autobackup?

Best Regards,

SCOOTER

Zo, dat was dan dat.
HOANG_9

Hello Sir,

I used Drive Image for make the hard drive duplication, from the hdd 40gb to 300gb.

And after, I duplicate the 1st hdd 300gb to the 2nd 300gb.

The HP SureStore AutoBackup start correctly with the two new hard drives, but when you browse the web interface : the dataprotection service is disable by the machine.

Van.
BR742453
Frequent Advisor

Hello Van,

Amazing that you even got this far.. that you actually can browse the interface. 2 thumbs up for you. I never got the images to copy 100%

Basicaly the error that you get means that Your disk configuration violates the capacity license for your HP SureStore AutoBackup product. All backup and restore services are disabled.

I guess since the unit is obsolete and dicontinued it's safe to give some inside info on these units...

The Autobackup has the software pre-loaded on the harddisks. These harddisks are specifically manufactured for the product.

The software on the Autobackup:
- Microsoft Windows for Embedded Networks, a scaled-down version of Windows NT 4.0 (sp6).
- Microsoft IIS 3 (Internet Information Services).
- Microsoft SQL Server database (a 5-user license).
- OEM version of Previo eSupport Essentials (previously known as "Stac Replica NDM".

The Autobackup should be considered as a closed system. Only the unit's Administrator has rights to adjust settings, either via the web-based menu or via the MS Management Console (MMC) for advanced configuration.
By design there is no option -not even for the Admin- to directly access the software and apply changes/patches/service packs like one would do on a standard server/PC. Installing additional software is not possible either.
The only exception to this is applying Autobackup-specific upgrades as released by HP.

I hope you did not spend to much time/money on this project of yours. The advice I can give if you like the product and want to increase the capacity and also be able to use it on winXP units go to http://www.altiris.com/ they bought the company Previo that made the SW for the Autobackup and they should still sell it but SW only. Then you could install that SW on a PC with large HDD's and run it exactly as the Autobackup.

Best Regards,

SCOOTER1
Zo, dat was dan dat.
HOANG_9

Hello Sir,

Yes, my HP SureStore AutoBackup PC100 is not in production. It was only a curiosity for me, since very long time : now I know it's impossible to upgrade the hard disk with 300gb.

And, I found a alternative product of CA ARCserve Backup Laptop and Desktop : very nice product for good price.

Thank you again for your answer.

Best regards,
H. Van