StoreEasy Storage

Windows 2000 SP4 on Nas1000s

andyhud
Occasional Contributor

Windows 2000 SP4 on Nas1000s

Hi all

I've just purchased a refurbed Nas1000s
It comes with 2000 WSS with SP3 and updates. I have the Quick Restore DVD also.

I want to install SP4 to get it more upto date. Is this advised and if so, how do I go about it? I must admit I downloaded it via TS straight away but it failed halfway through installation.

Plus I want to install it to allow my to install the SAK update (SP26160.EXE) which needs SP4 as a Pre-req...

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Kind regards

Andy Hudson
4 REPLIES 4
BR764657
Advisor

Re: Windows 2000 SP4 on Nas1000s

You need to obtain the latest service release from HP to install MS Service packs etc. Do not do it any other way as it will mess teh system up completely.
andyhud
Occasional Contributor

Hmmm, thanks for the info. However I rebooted the NAS box fine, came back up and I applied SP4. It rebooted fine. I then applied SAK 2.01a and the PSM updates listed on HP's site. All is still fine and I've been copying 100Gb of data across overnight without problems.

Any thoughts to this ?

Cheers
Andy

Jon Paul
Trusted Contributor

Hi Andy,
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/suspp/index.html
Above URL has the current Service Pack and security patch statement from HP.
Please note the NOTE: which says this applies to all Windows NAS products from HP.
As an aside, if you have a Windows 2003 based Storage Server (NAS) DO NOT INSTALL SP1 from Windows Update, only use the SR5.5 or later from HP.
Boris.N.NY
Advisor

Andy,

I have seen you asked about an upgrade kit for your NAS in a different posting in the forum. It used to be Upgrade Kit part number
349040-B21, from model NAS 1000s Windows Server Appliance Kit OS to model NAS 1200s Windows Storage Server 2003 OS.

HP used to have a warning for the kit:
"These upgrade kits cannot be used to upgrade Version 1 (v1) of the products listed above. Version 1 products cannot be upgraded to Windows Storage Server 2003 (WSS2003) because the hardware is not compatible with WSS2003. If you are not sure if you have a v1 or v2 product please check with your HP authorized representative for more help."

It is still listed in distribution in US as special order item. Cost is somewhere around $1k. In GB it may be a bit different I guess. I'd suggest to Google/Froogle it.

Speaking of which, WSS2003 does not have patches for PSM, SAK, etc. I haven't even looked if it is still using it.
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance (US Army)