StoreEasy Storage

X1600 SAS model

Kishore Vekaria
Occasional Contributor

X1600 SAS model

Hi all,

I wanted to know few things about X1600 storage as I need to configure an X1600 SAS with 24TB raw capacity on a single array. I am thinking to configure it with internal 2x 146GB SAS drive and 12x 2GB SATA hard disks. Can it be considered as a SAS model as I have used internal SAS hard disks and controller which gives me SAS expansion ports?

Also let me know how to create an alternate solution, if any, to create 24TB Raw stroage using SAS drives on a single array. I understand, largest SAS drive is of 600GB which prohibits in reaching 24TB in a single box.

TKA

vekarman

3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: X1600 SAS model

Hello, the SATA drives will work fine in the X1600 with the p212 controller. The connectors/cables are compatible and the controller can handle SATA drives.

It's even listed as an hard-drive pre-factory configuration option in the quickspecs:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13341_div/13341_div.html#Storage

Kishore Vekaria
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, Johan.

There is a preconfigured model BV862A with 12x2TB SATA drives.

I wanted calrification as to whether is it still a SAS model, if I am using SATA drives and 2x146GB internal SAS drives for OS and hence giving me SAS expanstion ports? I can say that we are getting SAS expansion ports along with SAS controller card, so it is a SAS model.

If no, how can we configure X1600 with pure SAS drives totalling 24TB in a single array?

Thanks in advance.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I guess you could connect two MSA60 or something like that to get more disks and wind up with 24TB using pure SAS-drives (that's maximum 600GB).

There are some manufacturers who have 2TB SAS drives as well, I'm a but confused as to how that works.

Maybe this link can explain some of the differences between SAS/SATA: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/networking/2tb-sas-drives-all-drives-are-not-created-equal/3247 . It says the only difference is the bus interface between the disk and the controller - thus making it the same actual disk. But that there might be some (very) minor performance gains from using the disk with a SAS interface. Now this article is a year old so things might have changed concering the SAS/SATA drives since then.

If the SAS/SATA are compatible why do you have to call it a 'SAS Model'?