StoreEasy Storage
1752801 Members
5549 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: X310: System drive fails. Easiest way to reload?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Phil Matt
Frequent Advisor

X310: System drive fails. Easiest way to reload?

I have an x310 with a bad system drive. Can't put my hands on the documentation just now. Is there anything to watch out for when replacing with a new HD and then restoring the software? Seems like it should be pretty simple.

TIA!

Update: Followed procedures found online:

1.) Copy HP Recovery CD to computer.

2.) Connect x310 directly to computer Ethernet port

3.) Disable firewall on computer

4.) New hard drive: remove all partitions

5.) Put new hard drive in x310 position 1

6.) Send x310 into recovery mode (blinking violet LED)

7.) Start recovery from HP Recovery program on computer

The recovery proceeds for about 30% of the progress bar, with the x310 showing blue and blinking violet LEDs.

Then the recovery fails at step 2, which is supposed to mean, "server not found."

Does anyone know what's going on here?

4 REPLIES 4
Phil Matt
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: X310: System drive fails. Easiest way to reload? -SOLVED!

'Way strange thing, but the problem was the the TFTPD program as supplied on the HP Recovery CD needed to be updated.

I just copied the contents of the Recovery CD to a PC,  downloaded version 4.0 of TFTPD, extracted the executable file, renamed it to match the one supplied on the CD (hp-tftpd32-.exe)  and overwrote the original file.

I then went into the TCP/IP settings for the PC, assigned a FIXED IP of 169.37.37.30, Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0, and ran the Reovery executable.

Completely normal and repeatable - success.

There is a lot of "voodoo" on the Web about how to make the Recovery process stop failing at step 2, but if you have healthy hard drives, (that business about not using modern drives that feature special extensions is just silly) it works.

Hope this helps someone else!

Joacchim

Phil - My x310 used to work and now suddenly my computers can't "see" it (home server icon is grayed out).  I was looking for possible solutions and ran across your post.  Is it possible my system drive has failed?  How could you tell this was the  problem for you?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Phil Matt
Frequent Advisor

Joacchim - the first thing to do is to check the status lights on the Home Server itself. What do you see?

panacuba
Established Member

Sorry to hijack this post, but could you please make a copy of those recovery disk and somehow upload them to a file locker so I can download them. I lost mine and in desperate need for some help