1752717 Members
5963 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: drive replacement on aio 400

rich craxton
Occasional Contributor

drive replacement on aio 400

How do you replace a 250gig drive with a 1.5t drive on a HP AIO? Is it as simple as just replacing one drive at a time and allowing it to rebuild itself? Any idea how long this would take? Can users still use device while doing this? Any storage capacity limits?

HP AIO 400

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProLiant Servers - Netservers to Network Attached Storage (NAS) (Small and Medium Business). - Hp forum moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor

Hi Rich,

Yep you can do that, but there won't be any increase in size because its gonna configure your new drive as 250 GB Disk.

There are couple of different steps based on the scenario.

Write down detailed, lets work out.
rich craxton
Occasional Contributor

Thats a bummer, no way at all to get this device to go to 1.5t? Really don't want to split the drive into multiples.

Thanks
Rich
rich craxton
Occasional Contributor

Could i replace all 4 drives with 1.5t would i get 1.5t then?

Thanks
Rich
Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor

Rich,

Even you change all the disk with 1.5t, still your array has been configured on base with 250 gig so only the hardware changes but not actually the array setup,size or performance change.

If I where in your place i would do this,

Arrange the Windows 2003 Storage edition media, Take a complete backup of data, Schedule a down time of min 6 Hours, Remove all the Disks, replace with the new ones, Diable the Hardware RAID, Install the OS and Activate it, Make all the Disks from simple to Dynamic in Windows Disk Management, Configure Software RAID Five between availabe 4 Disk. Restore the Databack,

And have a hot cup of Coffee with releif but still compromising 5 % of performance degrade.

You may thing other alternate but they have their problem
-------------------------------------------
Even if you start from scratch your Windows 2003 Storage edition has a limitation of 2 TB size Limit WITH hARDWARE raid & 256 TB size limit with software, So you need to configure two different arrays, then only choice left is Hardware RAID 0 in each array. So Software RAID is also Restricted to RAID Stripping not RAID 5.

Ultimately you loose your redundance RAID 5,
-------------------------------------------

rich craxton
Occasional Contributor

Ok, sounds like a major overhaul. How about memory - can I go to 4 gigs?

Thanks
Rich