StoreEasy Storage
1753797 Members
7376 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

nas 8000 (netserver based) problem to see luns on VA array

BR735649

nas 8000 (netserver based) problem to see luns on VA array

Hello all, I'm trying to configure a NAS8000 composed by 2 netserver (old version of the hw). I'm only using one of them for now. I can connect via mgmt eth0 with telnet and the java enabled gui, without any problems. I'm not able to see any storage attached. I know that there is a fibre channel hba connected to a fc-switch and from here to a VA storage array where 2 LUNS were configured for access from the nas. From the gui I'm not able to see anything about storage, also after rescan and reboot of the nas. From the manuals I should see only the luns, if connected to a SAN attached storage, but I see nothing The only relevant things I can find through the logs are: - in the "messages" log file I see this error message: hpn: (0) hpArrayMond: ERROR - Caught: Direct connect mode is not enabled - also from command line using the command "% getStorageDasdScsiVa7xxxManagementSoftwareRunning" I get: [ERROR] getStorageDasdScsiVa7xxxManagementSoftwareRunning: Direct connect mode is not enabled - it seems that the link is not up from the fc-switch port to which the nas is connected. I cannot reach the site where the hw is for the moment, so I cannot inspect the hw at the moment, but I had cable and port of the fc-switch changed without any positive result - from the manual it appears that in the main gui window accessing the switch from the web I should have information about the hba (under the network card information) but I have nothing..... The OS version installed is 1.4.2 Is this true for the netserver version also? Any help on how to debug/troubleshooting the situation? Thanks in advance. Bye, Gianluca
The Penguin is one step ahead...
2 REPLIES 2
BR704541

Re: nas 8000 (netserver based) problem to see luns on VA array

Hi!
I hade some problem with a NAS8000-1.6.0
witch needed to see LUN0 before it could
detect any other LUNs.

Cheers
Johan
BR689001

Re: nas 8000 (netserver based) problem to see luns on VA array

Hi,

What about zoning in the SAN switches. As far I understand you are managing storage by CommandView SDM. Is evertything OK with SDM ?.

The error:
[ERROR] getStorageDasdScsiVa7xxxManagementSoftwareRunning: Direct connect mode is not enabled

is quite normal if NAS8000 is connected to the SAN. Somehow direct connect should be disabled in this configuration, however our NAS worked OK with this message just filling log files.

I don't like NAS for other reasons but not this ;). Netserver based NAS is using EMULEX HBA's, which are best, so if dmesg (invokeSystemTool dmesg) or log files says no messages about discovery:

Emulex LightPulse FC SCSI/IP 4.20p
!lpfc0:045:Vital Product Data Data: 82 8 0 46
!lpfc0:031:Link Up Event received Data: 1 1 0 0
!lpfc1:045:Vital Product Data Data: 82 8 0 46
!lpfc1:031:Link Up Event received Data: 1 1 0 0
scsi9 : Emulex LPFC (LP950) SCSI on PCI bus 02 device 08 irq 18
scsi10 : Emulex LPFC (LP950) SCSI on PCI bus 02 device 10 irq 16
Vendor: HP Model: A6189A Rev: HP16
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Vendor: HP Model: A6189A Rev: HP16
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03

Then you need to check your SAN configuration like access lists, zoninig, etc.

Saulius