7678 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: nas1000s with wss2003 crashes

chimera
Occasional Advisor

nas1000s with wss2003 crashes

hey,
i have a client with a nas1000s which we upgraded the o/s to windows storage server 2003 (so essentially a 1200s now) they have an issue where they want to restore (across the network) to the nas box several gig of data. when it hits about 3 to 4GB, the NAS box locks up. only way is to power off and on again. we tried restoring to a usb hard drive, plugging it into a notebook and just doing an xcopy via crossover cable but again, it locks up around 4GB. any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
chimera
Occasional Advisor

ok, to answer my own question i found this thread:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=591111

but it does not SOLVE the issue. surely there must be a one-off fix for this???
chimera
Occasional Advisor

chimera
Occasional Advisor

Have performed some testing and found the following...

During the restore process (using CA ArcServe across the network) on the NAS box when it hits a large file it roles to 100% CPU. On the backup tape there are five files at 700mb each, these files are restored to disk at about 3.5 gb, this makes the NAS box unusable. Throughput is churning along at 200mb+ a minute until it hits these files and then it drops to 42mb min, it never gets any faster than 50mb min after that. Have also tested transferring backup files to the Nas box via ftp with no problem, approx 1.5gb in 12 minutes

Any ideas?
chimera
Occasional Advisor

I am still having this issue. Does ANYONE have any ideas on how to fix this??? It sounds potentially like a WSS2003 issue? I think I can safely rule out the disk controller or firmware on the disks. The facts are:

- Transfer by FTP protocol works completely fine, no crash whatsoever.

- Copying via locally connected USB disk, the server process went to 100% however it did eventually complete the copy

- Copying via network from backup tape suddenly runs slow however it does eventually finish the transfer. Problem is the NAS box and the Exchange server (where the tape drive resides) are unusable until this returns. Around 3gb of backup, about when it hits the large files (700MB), it says it will take 20 min, after that it says it will take 6 hours.

From the client: "The server crash, as defined by us, is when the server will no longer allow client connections to exchange or allow me to login into the Nas-Box to monitor progress."

However, on two separate occasions the backup has stopped, tape backup server recovers allowing user to connect, the Nas box has not recovered, no mouse and no response to Ctrl-Alt-Del. Have to physically power off and back on.