6867 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

saldm.exe using 98% of the cpu

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1147992

saldm.exe using 98% of the cpu

What is saldm.exe and why does it use 98% of the cpu occasionally?
12 REPLIES 12
CA859951
Honored Contributor

Re: saldm.exe using 98% of the cpu

Todd:

Are you runing Server Appliance 2.0? There could be a misconfiguration in the app.
"Now is the only thing that's real!"
CA1147992

I have not installed any software to the NAS1200s and it is running on windows server 2003 appliance edition which was preinstalled. How do i tell if it is "Server Appliance 2.0"? I am so new to NAS devices and 2003. The rest of the network is windows 2000.
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

saldm.exe is Local Display Manager for Server Appliance Kit 3.0. It is software written by Microsoft so system resources and status can be conveyed via a video manager of the local display device. Check your System Log and Device Manager for any errors. Check for video driver updates to the local display device connected to the 1200s.
CA1153786
Solution

This is the Server Appliance Local Display Manager, and is a service that is park of the Microsoft Server Appliance SDK. It is there to allow server appliances to display information on small local displays (e.g. an LCD on the front panel).
Server Appliances that do not have these displays seem to still have this service installed and running (e.g. on our Maxtor NAS4300). The service tries to talk to the non-existant display and goes a bit wrong... Maxtor say it is ok to disable the service and reboot (you cannot stop the service otherwise). This prevents the problem occuring in the future.
CA1147992

Thanks for the info. I will try disabling the service and restarting the NAS as soon as I have a chance and report my results
BR823148

Where can I disable this service please? It is not obviously listed in the Device Manager or Services as far as I can tell.

Thanks.
CA1166457

"Server Appliance Local Display Manager"
BR823148

Could you be more specific please? There is no service by that name listed on my NAS. That name isn't in the registry. It is not a shortcut in the start menu. Yet I had the saldm.exe program using all available CPU. I manually killed it, but am aware that it will come back when I next reboot.

It is an HP 1200s, pretty much as it was out the box. It has had no extra software installed.

Thanks for your help.
CA1170215

After some looking, I fould that our system has "Local Display Manager" (no "Server Appliance") listed under Services - saldm.exe was the executable.