1752643 Members
5607 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: unable to set clock within Windows Storage Server 2003

CA1077337
Advisor

unable to set clock within Windows Storage Server 2003

I have been trying to enable the clock in the system tray within Windows Storage Server 2003, which I am able to do. When I log out and log back in however, it is no longer displayed. I have even tried disabling the local GPO that prevents it from being displayed, with no luck.

Any ideas on how to enable the clock to be displayed during every log in?

thanks.

Mark
6 REPLIES 6
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

This is *very* interesting. Our image is configured to display the clock. Every server in our lab displays the clock -- whether freshly Quick Restored, or even if we've been running it for months.

It sounds like your AD is pushing policies down to the box. Is that the case?
CA1077337
Advisor

I spoke with the guy that manages our GPO's and he said that they don't touch the clock. I have used the restore disk on this device before, and I don't even remember the clock showing up then either.

Can I take the restore disk and use it on another DL380 G3 that we have to see if we have a bad image? or are there some copy protection features built in?

thanks

Mark
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

There are copy protection features built in to prevent this from working on off-the-shelf DL380 G3 servers. You will get a message stating "this is not a NAS device", and the Quick Restore will not work.

(This was required due to our licensing agreements with Microsoft. Because of our special OS and price, we had to disable the ability to install it on a general purpose server.)

You should be able to get a replacement QuickRestore DVD to try out. It is possible the DVD is bad, but it would surprise me that the image would restore without errors (there are checks in the restore to verify the data is not corrupted), and that it would only affect this one function (or the handful of problems you are seeing).
CA1077337
Advisor

How would I go about getting a replacement DVD? I'd like to at least eliminate that as being the problem.

Is there a way for us to purchase Storage Server from you guys so that we could load it on an off the shelf machine?

thanks

Mark
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

You need to place a call into HP support, and tell them that your QuickRestore DVD is damaged. Ask them to send you a replacement DVD.

I don't know what call center you need to contact to do this. There should be a support number included in the documentation that shipped with your product. At worst, the reseller or sales person you bought the server from should be able to direct you to the appropriate call center number (or if they don't know, they can find out which one you need to call).

Although we have begun discussions internally regarding making a generic image that could be loaded onto any server, that is only in its initial discussion stages. (And it has not reached any serious consideration, analysis, or level in the management chain yet). So unfortunately, for today and the near-term foreseeable future, you will not be able to get a generic version of the image that will load onto any platform.
CA1088250

Same problem here and can't seem to figure out the problem.