1752790 Members
6094 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

1/8 G2 Autoloader / drive media removal prevented by host

CA1498917
Occasional Advisor

1/8 G2 Autoloader / drive media removal prevented by host

Hello, I has here a 1/8 G2 Autoloader with Backup EXEC 11. with everyone by Backup EXEC the following error is produced for initiated tape change. Is there a possibility this off sets?

07.07.14 14:16:55.76 LIB/ERR <80 45 00 15 02 04 01 02 08 > IR: drive media removal prevented by host
21 REPLIES 21
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

Re: 1/8 G2 Autoloader / drive media removal prevented by host

This is likely to be caused by the setting of Prevent Media Removal in the drive - though that's usually done by the back app itself. The app normally unsets it at the end but that doesn't happen if it gets interrupted.

You can find out for sure if you have LTO drives by pulling a LTT support ticket and looking at the device analysis output.

Use http://www.hp.com/support/lttfaq for a quick guide to pulling tickets.

You can reset PMR either by power cycling the drive or using the LTT utility 'set drive configuration' and using the PMR option to actively turn PMR off.

Hope this helps, Richard.
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong
CA1498917
Occasional Advisor

Hello, in LTT i have 2 options allow or prevented. I must use which option?
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

Use 'allow'.
CA1498917
Occasional Advisor

Hello, I have adjusted to allow, everything again started however the error comes still. Do I have to adjust some more at the Backup EXEC?
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

This is getting odd. By resetting the drive configuration you should be back to normal again. Can you unload the tape via the front panel?

The backup app should be the one that's setting this configuation anyway so what you're seeing suggests there's another process or host changing things independent of Backup Exec. Is that a possibility?

Did you get to pull a LTT ticket and look at the device analysis rules? That would clarify that it *is* the PMR configuration that's at fault. There are other possiblities such as another host reserving the drive but then Backup Exec wouldn't even be able to talk to it then...

Is this an LTO drive? Perhaps if you can attach a ticket to this thread we could take a look. Please use the latest version - LTT 4.3 which was released just a few days ago. Which OS are you using? If it's Windows then RSM should also be switched off as that can cause interference with the app.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I thought the PMR bit would have done the job...
CA1498917
Occasional Advisor

Hello Richard, the Autoloader has a LTO 3 drive assembly and is attached to a Dl360 G4. On the server Windows runs 2003 R2. I hope I the correct Logs provided. The Windows RSM service is adjusted to deactivated. I made that for the first time. Please something has patience with me. Thanks
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

Hi Mike. I took a look through your attachment. It's all there which is good. The .lzt files are the support tickets which tell us what the drive thinks is going on.

From the drive's perspective everything looks fine at the moment. You can see evidence of PMR being turned on (i.e. preventing removal of the tape) and there's even an instance of the device analysis rules warning that it is on which certainly suggests you had a problem with that at some point - but at the time you pulled the ticket it was off and you should be able to get the tape out. There is even a record of the tape being unloaded in the drive logs...

I'd double check that you can get the tape out via the front panel as I think the hardware is working fine.

I don't see any evidence of other hosts or even RSM getting in the way. The ticket does show RSM is switched off which is good. It also shows you have no LTO driver loaded which is a bit odd. This check is a new feature of LTT 4.3 so I'm a little nervous it may be incorrect. Can you please check your LTO tape driver to make sure it's loaded OK. Maybe that's the problem... LTT doesn't use that driver except for the drive performance test.

The drive health is fine from what I can see and the current configuration is as I'd expect so although there was a previous case of PMR is does look OK now.

If you can remove the tape via the front panel but still have issues with Backup Exec then I'm afraid it's likely to be an app problem and that's not my field. You might need to contact the vendor for that one.

Can you let me know whether you are able to remove the tape via the front panel OK. Let's eliminate or incriminate Backup Exec.

Good luck, Richard.
CA1498917
Occasional Advisor

Hello Richard, I shifted to the test a Tape from a magazine by front panel into the LTO. Also back is no problem. I will turn times to Symantec. Thank you for your patience and the outstanding assistance.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

This issue is very likely caused by a race condition which has been fixed in the latest version of the library firmware. Please update your library firmware.