dan.sool
Occasional Advisor

1/8 Tape Autoloader Ultrium 448

My configuration:
Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 wSP2
DP 6.0
L&TT ver. 4.2SR1a
Autoloader LDR is in RANDOM mode.
SCSI adapter: Intel SRCU41L (I can see Tape device in POST)

I have upgraded firmware to the latest (S54W)

RSM is disabled (not only stopped), also Medium Changer and Tape Drive Drivers in Device Manager.

L&TT scans (Hardware/NT miniport) for devices and finds both the Autoloader (SCSI1:0:10:1) and the Drive (SCSI1:0:10:0).

I can see Drive information but not Autoloader (Medium_changer) information: "L&TT does not support this device".

DP 6.0 randomly finds autoloader+robotic paths+drive+slots or only the autoloader+drive.

Case 1: DP 6.0 autoconfiguration finds Autoloader, Robotics Paths, Drive and Slots.

When I try to scan the Drive I get an error:
"Cannot open exchanger control device (Device type mismatch)"

I have created OmniBack\omnirc file with one option OB2DBD=1 enabled. No effect.

Case 2: DP 6.0 autoconfiguration finds Autoloader and Drive.

I am able to scan and format the medium currently in drive. Also I am able to read/write the medium. But if medium becomes full, DP is unable to change the medium, although there are free mediums in medium pool.

I have tried same operations on Windows Server 2003 32bit version, but results are the same. I have even changed SCSI adapter.

When RSM, autoloader and drive drivers are enabled, Autoloader LDR mode is SEQUENTIAL, NTBackup is able to read/write the tapes and to change them.

I have ran out of ideas.
10 REPLIES 10
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: 1/8 Tape Autoloader Ultrium 448

I hope this helps.

About the modes (from the manual):

Random mode
is used when there is a full-featured or a robotics-aware backup application in use.
This is the most common mode of operation. In Random mode, the autoloader will not
automatically load tapes into the drive; it waits for commands from the software. Your backup
software must support autoloaders, which may require the additional installation of an
autoloader/library software module.

Sequential mode
is used when the backup software is NOT robotics-aware or was designed for
standalone drives only. Sequential mode is useful when a software application is not available. In
Sequential mode, the autoloader automatically loads and unloads tapes from the drive. The
operator determines a tape to load by loading the desired tape into the tape drive using the
autoloader front panel (see ├в Importing tape cartridges├в on page 30 for instructions).
40 Autoloader administration
When the first tape is full or unloaded for any reason, the autoloader automatically removes the
tape from the drive, puts it in its original slot, then loads the next available higher numbered slot....

I would suggest to toggle to random mode.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
dan.sool
Occasional Advisor

As I mentioned before:

Autoloader LDR is in RANDOM mode. This is the case when using L&TT or DP 6.0.

I only changed it to sequential mode to test the medium changer hardware with ntbackup.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Sorry, information overflow ...

Did you connect the loader to a supported adapter? Check from here:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/tapecompatibility.html

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

dan.sool
Occasional Advisor

You have a point there. I will try with adaptec 29320. Even though, I find it unlikely, Intel SRCU41L is not compatible with HP, but it is possible.

Thank you for your advice!
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The "LTT does not support this device" message is very interesting. If it is an HP autoloader L&TT should support it.

After you run L&TT there is a file in the logs directory under the install directory which is called "Eventlog.ltt". If you can post a copy of that file it will show exactly what is being reported and maybe that will give us some tips.
dan.sool
Occasional Advisor

Here it is:
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Did you connect the tape to a RAID controller? Most RAID controllers cannot work with tape devices.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

dan.sool
Occasional Advisor

Yes, SRCU41L is a RAID adapter. Can you tell me why don't tape devices work with RAID adapters? I can see robotic device and tape drive, with LUNs it seems to be okay.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Your problem has already been identified - the library is attached to a RAID controller and at this time almost no RAID controllers support tape libraries although a few will support tape drives. We're working on getting that fixed at least for new controllers but it's not trivial.

A simplification of the problem is that a RAID controller has special handling for mapping portions of drives to LUNs so it has special handling for LUN devices. Sometimes it doesn't even implement true LUN functionality. In this case it appears that the RAID controller is reporting the library but the only command it is allowing is an inquiry which is one way that LUN controllers handle devices they don't understand. More often the device doesn't even show.