StoreEver Tape Storage
1753806 Members
8080 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

1/9 Autoloader (DLT)

Steven Komperda

1/9 Autoloader (DLT)

I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade a 1/9 Surestore autoloader with a LVDS connection to a HVDS. Please give me some feedback. Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Re: 1/9 Autoloader (DLT)

Yes, although it would be an expensive upgrade. You would need:

1) HVDS DLT8K drive module
2) HVDS controller card

I don't think the HVDS controller card is available as a FRU for the autoloader (it is considered part of the autoloader chassis).
The journey IS the reward.
Steven Komperda

Thanks for the reply I have all the parts needed and the HVDS controller carde is a FRU. but when i go to put those parts in the library, it doesn't completely boot itself up. Why??
CA713937
Honored Contributor

You might be using a controller card from a 2/20 series library, which looks exactly the same, but has different boot code and different firmware. As I said, I don't think the controller for the 1/9 was a fru (but I could be wrong).

Are you sure it's a controller for a 1/9?
Steven Komperda

the controller card that i have to replace the LVDS has an HP part number of C7200-66501. Is this the right one
CA713937
Honored Contributor

> HP part number of C7200-66501. Is this the right one.

The board hardware is the same between the C7200 family and the C7145 family, so you can't go by part number. The controller board is only a FRU for the C7200 (i.e. 2/20) so there is no issue with having one board. The controller board for the 1/9 is part of the chassis.

> ... but when i go to put those parts in the library, it doesn't completely boot itself up. Why??

That most likely means it's a board for the C7200. The two product families use different picker code, and different addressing of other components.

The autoloader should bring the SCSI bus up. If it says 'HP C7200' it is the wrong firmware. From the front panel, sometimes I see a blank display, and other times it says "HARD ERROR - library controller not on level 1 or incorrect firmware" (perhaps depending on boot code and/or firmware revision).

There's probably a way we could change the code, but it would take some heroics. With the mismatch in picker types, it will not complete the whole unit firmware download.
Steven Komperda

Hey I really appreciate your help. I think we came up with the conclusion that its not really worth the time and money to try to get this done. Here is the web site for my company check it out maybe ypu might be interested in some of the stuff we have - www.seguecorp.com - If so talk to one of the sales people and tell them that Steve told you to call. Thanks again for everything
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Send your email address to ltt_team@hp.com, and we might be able to give you a way to update the firmware on the board (if you're still interested).