1753486 Members
4385 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 110/220 SDLT and "Unrecoverable Data Error" on many drives

Michael Powers
Occasional Contributor

110/220 SDLT and "Unrecoverable Data Error" on many drives

Has anyone experienced this problem with thier SDLT drives? I have 18 in production and everyone gives me this error on occasions. Too often than I would like to see. I have all the drives to the latest firmware. I have ordered different tapes to test. Both with the same issue. I really need to try to resolve this.
3 REPLIES 3
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Most problems with sdlt units is due to the fact that the drives do not come in to streaming. The 110/220 sdlt needs at least 11MB/sec to stream. Most servers/os's and backup programs have a difficult time to deliver this amount of data. If you have one of the following, the chance is high that you suffer from this: Novell Netware, Veritas backup exec, Arcserve.
Check your backup logs for the troughput you have on your backups and try to increase this by changing backup software for instance (software which is capable to multistream)

Leon
Jeffrey Willemsen
Frequent Advisor

If you tried multiple drives and tapes the cause could be related to SCSI interface or cabling. To what systems are these drives connected? Are they stand-alone drives or mounted in a central server? Please provide some more info .. you should not get any unrecoverable data error regardless if the drive comes into streaming or not. And: did you check if the error message is indeed the same as the SCSI sense codes you get so it is not the software that misinterprets them?

Jeffrey
Don't change a working configuration
Allan_24
Regular Advisor

Hi,
If the problem still exist despite of the fact that you already provide an update driver and firmware, perhaps the DLTSage_xTalk utility might able to help you. You can find this at Quantum web based if you like to try.

Hope this can help.
"You should be working"