======================================================================

Job ended: 01 February 2005 at 13:34:13
Job completion status: Failed
Terry Auspitz
Frequent Advisor

Re: 12/24Gb DAT

Well dang... that doesn't give us much to go on, now does it? The only other thing I can think of is to check the server's event log for any events related to the drive or SCSI controller.

I might also run a cleaning tape before trying the new tapes again (new tapes dirty the drive faster than old ones)

If none of this helps, and your old tapes are still working, I would conclude the new tapes are defective and return them to your place of purchase for an exchange.

-Terry
Robert Bokros
Occasional Advisor

I ordered a new tape drive HP DAT 24i c1555D. I used the new tape which came with it. I reloaded veritas 8.6 Windows 2k driver. still the same..... HELP! PLEASE.
Terry Auspitz
Frequent Advisor

Wow... same problem even with a new drive? The old tapes work and the new ones don't?

-Terry
Robert Bokros
Occasional Advisor

Yes,

I am down to 2 working older tapes.This is driving me mad. Could this be a virus?
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Robert,
I assume you have scanned all the answers on:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/NAV_BAR/clustersearch.asp?
The first answers always recommend virus check. As you are down to last few tapes, may be worth a direct call to Veritas engineer.
Regards
Robert Bokros
Occasional Advisor

I have a virus checker, but it does not appear to find any problem viruses.
Robert Bokros
Occasional Advisor

OK, have found the problem, but not the remedy.

I bought a new tape DAT with the same results!
I put the old DAT back into my older server and all the tapes old, new, junk, work OK.
So, I believe I have a virus problem with W2K as I have already reinstalled Veritas.
Also I have a DNS problem which until today I have considered unrelated. I have a virus checker up to date and running, and I have run the virus checker from the Symantec website with no virus detected. I think I have a nasty problem , is there a program which will detect and repair my issues please?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I would suggesst some test in order to understand if you have a hardware problem or a sw one.
Could you run the LTT sw and attach a sticket to the forum for analysis, running the tool usualy can give you some answer related to the status of the DAT. You can run read/write test on the old and on the new tapes, and compare the result.
The DDS3 tape drive may have some deformations ont the read/write head due to the wearing, and when using for long time the same tapes, it may be that he can just read/write these. A "calibration" process may be issued with LTT in order to adjust some parameters of the heads, and correcting some situations. This can be the cause of the errors on the new tapes

marino
Robert Bokros
Occasional Advisor

The old tapes work fine in with the old DAT in an old server, so it cannot be the tapes or the DAT. It must be a W2K probelem , no?