4379 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2 drives on Library MSL4048 LTO4 can not run backup simultaneously

Feri_1
Occasional Advisor

Dear Maroni,

Sorry, did you mean that I have run test per drive (one by one)?
Yes, there is no problem if I run test backup using per drive (one by one). But, the problem comes while trying to run both drive simultaneously with one Backup specification.

I have tried to check concurrency and has set it to the requirement. But I still can not use both drive simultaneously to run one backup specification.

I have called HP Data Protector Engineer to run backup, but He gave up. The hardware support also.

Oh ya...for compare testing, today I am testing to run same backup specification and trying to run it on both drives using Quantum scalar i40.
It works. I can run one backup specification and use both drive simultaneously. ;(

Oh..I am stuck....is there any suggestion, please?

Thanks,
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Feri

what I mean is to run two LTT instance in the same time, one directed to one drive and one directed to the second drive.
The new versions on LTT support multiinstances that allow to test using stream to multiple drives
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Would be good also if you can collect a support ticket from LTT and attach it here so I can have an overview of the HW
Thanks
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Feri,

you need to check *two* concurrency settings.

there is one default value for each drive
devices - select the drive, props, advanced, concurrency (default with tapes is 4)

then there is one for the backup device *in the backup specification*
backup - select your spec, destination, the drive, props for *this* drive in *this* backup spec, concurrency (default would be 4 as well)

check this for both drives in you backup spec and it *should* override any default setting you made under the devices and media section... if not change it there too.

if concurrency in all instances is set to 1 it should definitely backup *one* backup object (filesystem, e.g. C:) on *one* drive and the *second* backup object (e.g. F:) on the *second* drive (assuming you have two tapes available from the respective pool...

There is *no* way to split the backup of *one* object onto two different drives. this is typically of no use since the LTOs used nowadays are usually much faster than a single filesystem will deliver the backup data.

Regards,
Bernhard
agent-orange
Occasional Advisor

Hi

I have the same problem here. We have 3 MSL6060 with each 2 LTO3 drives and I also can not use 2 drive simultaneously for running backup. The strange thing is, this worked some months ago and now not anymore. Licence problem is it definitely not.

The currency for each drive is set to 1 and load balancing is min: 1 & max: 1

When I start a backup job, which 2 drives are set, drive 1 is writing drive 2 "Inactive/waiting"

It's a Job with about 7 Server, only file-system.

Feri_1
Occasional Advisor

Dear All,

Thank you for any suggestion.

HP Enginner just did Firmware update for Tape Library..Now, All drive run normally..

thank you
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

using Symantec Backup Exec, I can run three tape drives at the same time. This is on an Adaptec controller with SCSI disconnect enabled. I could not accomplish this on an HP tape drive with HP controllers because I can't enable SCSI disconnect. You would need separate controllers for each tape drive to run them at the same time. If they are on the same controller, the two tape drives would time out because HP neuters the controller functionality. It is like them making their SCSI controllers internal or external only instead of both by disabling the on-board termination and using cable termination.