108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

20/700 vs. L700

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Rolling
Advisor

20/700 vs. L700

Can anyone tell me if there is much difference between the HP 20/700 and the Storagetek L700? We want to plug a 20/700 into our EMC SAN, but the EMC support matrix only mentions the L700, nothing about the 20/700. Are these two libraries equivalent?
Things are never as bad nor as good as you imagine.
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: 20/700 vs. L700

Hi,

Both machines are manufactured by StorageTek
and are identical except the HP ones are built to HP specifications, colour and badging.
I have a 20/700 unit and use some EMC gear.
You shouldn't have too many problems. Call
EMC and ask them. Do you have everything through an EMC badged brocade switch??

-Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Tim Rolling
Advisor

Unfortunately we have the EMC DS-16M, which is a rebadged McData switch. Do you suppose it will make a big difference?
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor
Solution

No as long as the firmware is at an appropriate level for both vendors if you are mixing and matching. I have 2 x 8 port EMC switches and a 20/700 tape library (HP) and although I had initial problems setting up this environment, everything it working fine at the moment.

HTH
-Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Vic Hatfield

Something that needs to be considered is that McData switches are very different to Brocade switches. Yes they do the same job but McData are more proprietary. Having said that I would ask EMC which of the units they will certify in the SAN environment. You will have integration issues with the tape library in your SAN (don't listen to the sales talk). Buy a guarantee of functionality with the library. That is, if you are buying from HP make them guarantee that they will work with EMC to sort through any issues to ensure the library works to your specifications.
Tim Rolling
Advisor

Thanks Vic,

Your timing is remarkable. HP has just prepared, for us, a written commitment to resolve any compatibility issues between the library and the McData switch. It is a money back guarantee if compatibility issues cannot be resolved within 90 days. In addition, by boss has indicated willingness to budget for a Brocade switch in the near future. I'm happy.

Tim Rolling