StoreEver Tape Storage
1753809 Members
8832 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

5gb Colorado Replacement

Chuck Lewis

5gb Colorado Replacement

Before the owner of the computer store I worked for passed away, one of the customers had a program which required DOS networking in a Netware environment. A 5GB internal tape drive in one of the workstations has been giving her excellent service until last night. It is now reporting a tape removal error while the tape is in,exchanging tapes has no effect on the error. I have assumed the tape drive has gone bad, but the customer cannot seem to find any 5GB tape drives for sale anymore. Anybody outthere got any helpful hints??
1 REPLY 1
CA923306
Trusted Contributor

Re: 5gb Colorado Replacement

Sometimes you can get lucky and find such drives for sale on e-bay. What the customer could try is to download Tape Diagnostic from hp.com > support and drivers website and rund diagnostic testing on the drive to check its installation and operational ability. I would recommend this before purchasing a new drive.

Another option is to run retention on the read write head. This is done in CB II in the tools menu. It will clean the read/write head and might re-instate functionality.

Also try uninstalling and reinstalling CB II on the system.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you.

Tom Cuttriss
Always start at the basics, the simple solution is usually the right solution.