StoreEver Tape Storage
1752565 Members
5481 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A404/5 error of surestore 818

Willi Ebert

A404/5 error of surestore 818

I've got 6 a404/5 errors ( callibration log entry) in the last 60 (during the last two month) backups (I see this with my backupsoftware and the HP utility software ver 2.7).
What have i to do?
6 REPLIES 6
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Do you use the tapes in slots 4 and 5 to do your backup?

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
these are calibration errors,
check with the LTT in the log to see if these error are always related to the same media, in this case, try to remove this media from the pool
bye
marino
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> Do you use the tapes in slots 4 and 5 to do your backup?

The error numbers (A404/5) have nothing to do with the library slot numbers. There are hard error events in the DLT drive error log.

Please see my reply in the BCDG forum (same question): http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xf82136e69499d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html
The journey IS the reward.
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Thanks David. I have a document regarding the 418, 718 and 818 error codes, mentioning erorr codes from 00H to BEH. I assume these have nothing to do with this a404/5 error?

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Vincent,

You are correct, the 1 byte error codes you mention are reported by the library (in the front panel error logs, and across SCSI) are for the autoloader only. The drive operates somewhat independently of the autoloader. Any read, write, calibration, servo, etc, errors encountered by the drive are only logged in the drive error logs (along with sense data returned on the failed command). This error log is called the 'LAST N EVENTS' log in the SCSI spec. You can find the DLT8000 SCSI spec on the quantum website at:
http://www.quantum.com/NR/rdonlyres/scv7wptpzj3iumdrfx2z3q6orzvnubnemdddhanxgjxsosmrefpykr5fs752c3rylv6qpfbeztt5n/8000_Rev_4.pdf

The documentation on the actual event codes is fairly minimal, and is contained in appendix B. For example, the description of 'A404' is "Calibration log1 error entry", which doesn't tell you much as far as the cause or resolution of the error.

Note: LTT already adds the error code description when it publishes event in the support ticket viewer.

The DLT8000 error log holds the last 48 event entries, and they are not cleared when firmware is updated.

Also in LTT, a device analysis script which runs whenever a support ticket is generated. This script looks for known problems in the drive error logs (such as the 9049 bugcheck indicating an SRAM error), and will publish any critical problems it finds.
The journey IS the reward.
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the document! I'd give you a lot of points but unfortunately I can't...

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!