StoreEver Tape Storage
1748266 Members
3695 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: AIT Tape Drive Support Under HPUX? Data Compression?

Steve Heck

AIT Tape Drive Support Under HPUX? Data Compression?

From our testing we found that a driver can be built under HPUX 11.0 that supports the SDX-300C -> Data Compression (DC) supported. The problem is that when we build a driver for the Sony SDX-500C DC is disabled via Mode Select PC 0Fh Byte 2 = 0x40. It is apparent that the OS recognizes the SDX-300C but not the SDX-500C. I have SCSI traces that show that the that DC is being turned off via Mode Select. Is there any way to get a patch to support the SDX-500C and future AIT drives? I think this would be a very minor fix because everything is already present for the SDX-300C. Also in HPUX 10.20 both SDX-300C & SDX-500C disable DC.
4 REPLIES 4
AMSA Unix Admin
Advisor

Did this ever get worked out? I am having the same compression problem on AIT-3 (SDX-700C). TIA.

Chuck Davis
Christopher LaPlante_1
Frequent Advisor

I am also getting the same compression problem with AIT3 SDX-700C. Has anyone gotten hardware compression to work with HP-UX 11 and AIT3?
Terry Davlin

My AIT-3 is now working with 11.11 on our rp5470. For me the fix was to install the stape/kernel patch PHKL_28217. I created a no-rewind device file,

mksf -d stape -I 0 -v -b 48 -c 3 -n /dev/rmt/c6t0d0D48C3nb

and can put 245gb with vxdump. So far, all restores have been successful, too.

Good luck!
Judith
Terry Davlin

My SDX-700C is now working with 11.11 on our rp5470. For me, the fix was to install the stape/kernel patch PHKL_28217. I created a no-rewind device file,

mksf -d stape -I 0 -v -b 48 -c 3 -n /dev/rmt/c6t0d0D48C3nb

and can put at least 245gb on an AIT-3 tape with vxdump. So far, all restores have been successful, too.

Good luck,
Judith