1752617 Members
4510 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Access Denied to Tape Media error

Michael Izak
Advisor

Access Denied to Tape Media error

I am installing a DLT 20/40 tape drive to my server running Win 2000 server. I log on as administrator and when I try to do a tape backup by clicking on the Windows tape utility I get an error message:

"Access Denied to Tape Media

The current user account does not have rights to access the media managed by Removable Storage. As a result, no tape devices are available to this account.

If desired, an administrator can grant access to this account by running Backup to create the media pools for this application, then granting this account rights to access each pool."

I don't understand this error and I don't understand how to fix this. I have the HP Storagetools utility installed on the server and it recognizes the tape drive. The Windows backup program does not recognize the tape drive.

Is there a reasonable explanation for this and a simple fix for this?

Thanks to anybody in advance!

-MJI
4 REPLIES 4
aleks mindlin
Frequent Advisor

Seems like the reason is that Windows backup program does not recognize the tape drive. Need to install driver.
Michael Izak
Advisor

I loaded the DLT tape drivers in, rebooted, and re-tried the Win backup. I still have the same error message - access denied to tape media. I think it has something to do with or how the tape media is accessed.
aleks mindlin
Frequent Advisor

In Device Manager check if HBA is fully recognized. It may need drivers too.
Muhammed Kassim
Occasional Advisor

Kindly disable, removal storage service and restart the server. After the server restart enable the service.

Sr. Server support analyst,

Dubai Islamic Bank, Dubai, UAE.