StoreEver Tape Storage
1748199 Members
2599 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Alter SCSI block size used over external port of a DL380 5i ?

2mths
Occasional Advisor

Alter SCSI block size used over external port of a DL380 5i ?

Has anyone ever managed to alter the SCSI blocksize used to communicate over the external port of a 5i controller in something like a DL380 G2.

I think the driver used for this port is CPQCISSE but ammending that key in the registry doesn't seem to be working.

To do this for an adaptec card or similar you'd got to:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aic78xx
Create keys (if necessary) \Parameters\Device
Create a DWORD of MaximumSGList

(I'm trying to increase the block size to read a DLT tape written at 96k - without success)

TIA
2 REPLIES 2
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Alter SCSI block size used over external port of a DL380 5i ?

Are you sure you have to change the block size of the HBA? in my opinion this is a block size for the scsi communication, so the phisical layer.
If you want to read a DLT tape written with a block size of 96 K, I suppose that you have to work at a application level.
have a look and a try to this link
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg70047
2mths
Occasional Advisor

Re: Alter SCSI block size used over external port of a DL380 5i ?

Yes - I'm pretty sure this is where & what I want to change.

Thankyou for the link, it is interesting but it's the other end of what I'm trying to do :-).
It details how to alter the block size that the drive writes at.
The problem I am trying to solve is where someone has done this and increased the block size to 96k (from a default of 64k I believe) and I now need to read a tape thus written on a different system.

I can successfully test\demonstrate this with other SCSI adapters (and their respective drivers) even some Compaq cards and adapters (the 5i in a G1 even I think so long as I remove the array controller chip) but the CPQCISSE driver on the G2 doesn't seem to want to 'play ball'.