1752586 Members
4265 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Arcserve unable to use hotplug AIT drive for backup

James Skipper_1
Occasional Contributor

Arcserve unable to use hotplug AIT drive for backup

I have an internal hotplug AIT50 drive in slot 5 of a DL380G2 server. The backplane is connected to a 5300 a/c. Server is running Windows 2000 SP3 and Arcserve 2000 SP4. Device manager within Arcserve reports that "this is a shared device on a distributed server and tapeengine is unable to connect to primary server." I cannot therefore perform backups to this device. Does anybody know how I can make this device accessible to Arcserve.
7 REPLIES 7
Glenn Weavind_1
Frequent Advisor

James: Unless something important has changed, the usual HP advice still applies: the array controllers do not support tape drives. Putting the tape drive onto a simple SCSI controller (not just a SCSI bus provided by a/c) will allow Arcserve to recognise a valid backup device.
Glenn.
James Skipper_1
Occasional Contributor

For information I downloaded the latest Arcserve 2000 tape engine updates - QO39924.CAZ and following a reboot Arcserve now recognises the AIT drive and I am able to backup to this via the A/c with no dedicated SCSI card.
Gary O'Connell

Thanks James for your well researched information, I was having the same problem with the HP Surestore 40, model hp c56838a and now Arcserve has detected the new drive.

Thanks again.

Gary O'Connell

Thanks James for your well researched information, I was having the same problem with the HP Surestore 40, model hp c5683a and now Arcserve has detected the new drive.

Thanks again.

Roger Silverentand

Hi, I'm using a AIT35 tape drive in a DL380G2 on a smart array controller with 3 RAID5 drives. System is Novell 5.1 SP6, Arcserve 7.0 with QO33421 and QO39999. Arcserve recognises the tape drive, but accessing tape drive gives error 6200 'padding error illegal drive type'.
HP L&TT tool seems to be able to perform read/write test.
Does anybody know how to solve the problem?
Regards: Roger.
Walter Keener

I am having the same issue after change tape drives. Has anyone solved this yet?
Roger Silverentand

Deleted complete arcserve server installation directory and NDS objects. Reinstalled and now working fine.