New Discussion юеВ

Re: Attaching HVD devices to LVD adapters

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rommel T. Misa
Occasional Contributor

Attaching HVD devices to LVD adapters

HI GUYS,

Just wondering how can I attach an HVD tape drive to an LVD adapter. Does it need a converter cable or something?

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Not sure but I don't think it is supported.

Regards,
I'll sleep when i am dead.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

NO! NO! NO! NO! Absolutely NOT!

If you are unlucky you will KILL your equipment!

You need a signal converter - a single cable will not do it! I don't know if such a special device exists - I have only seen HVD/SE (High Voltage Differential/Single Ended) converters so far, but I don't deal much with converters anyway.
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
Here you can find HVD-LVD converters.
http://www.paralan.com/
Allan_24
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Actually, you have two options, either you may change your SCSI LVD adapter to HVD adapter such as adaptec AHA-2944UW that utilize 68 pins HVD

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/techspecs.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AHA-2944UW&cat=%2fProduct%2fAHA-2944UW&fromarea=prod

or you can use SCSI module converter M16 standalone or M17 bord version from paralan.

http://www.paralan.com/mh16.html

Cheers,

Allan
"You should be working"
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi,
As already mentionned you are in great risk of HW damage... A good reason is the difference of voltage at logic level: 5V for HVD and 3V for LVD...

All the best
Victor
Allan_24
Regular Advisor

There should be no problem using the said converter.

The MH16 will not slow the data rate or affects anything in terms of power signaling, is completely transparent to the hardware, the software and the operator
and it does not use a SCSI ID.

Cheers,

Allan
"You should be working"
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Of course...
I should have added " without appropriate converter "...
All the best
Victor
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

All the convertor discussions are well covered. One note to keep in mind. No convertors are completely transparent. All of the have some effect on the signal timing which can be seen with an oscilloscope. The Paralan convertor recommended above is my personal favorite and has less impact on signal timing than most others I have tested. Most SCSI devices should work fine with the Paralan unit but I have run into some that push the margins of signal timing and do not work well with any convertors.

In most cases getting an HVD HBA is the best choice since it is usually cheaper than the convertor but for some systems that isn't an option.