1753777 Members
7841 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Autobackup (security and reports)

Fifth Horseman
Occasional Advisor

Autobackup (security and reports)

We are planning to implement Autobackup25 & Autobackup 100 devices for a bigger number of customers. Since everybody seems to be able to connect to the device, I am looking for a way to implement some kind of user authentication based on a NT global group. Is there a way how this can be achieved? The only way I see is to put the scripts from the device to a regular server, authenticate the valid users there and redirect them from there to the devices. But this doesn't really seem to be a proper way. I'am also looking for ways to draw reports from the device (in order to calculate costs for users...)
Thanks for your help
AndrT

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Tape Backup (Small and Medium Business). - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: Autobackup (security and reports)

Possibly solution exists with Samba (CIFS9000). This will allow users to connect from the NT side and be authenticated.

There is some code and docs regarding Samba on the HP site and there is the web site www.samba.org
Fifth Horseman
Occasional Advisor

Re: Autobackup (security and reports)

I fear Samba will not be an option for us. We are using NT only. What I'm missing in this Autoback device is a way to connect to the database and draw reports from it (cost management) and a way to allow or deny users to use the device. There is however some really nasty and I guess unsupported trick. The CD with the 1.1b update contains all the scripts. "Correcting" some scripts and run the setup afterwards would theoretically allow redirection to a web-server (hence implementing security) and changing the layout. But I was actually looking for something supportet