New Discussion юеВ

Re: Autoloader 1/9 - HP C7145 firmware update

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1349052
Occasional Advisor

Autoloader 1/9 - HP C7145 firmware update

Hello,

I cannot find the firmware for this autoloader. Having installed the HP L&TT, it says that firmware "232I" is up-to-date as of July 20 2004. Perhaps there are no updates available?

Also, how can I know that this firmware is compatible with the IBM Ultrium-TD1 drive inside?

Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
CA1349052
Occasional Advisor

...in addition, I downloaded the firmware bundle for Autoloader 1/9 and the LTO firmware updates are not applicable to my drive.

Thanks for any help.
meloni
Honored Contributor

can you collect and attach here the support ticket, we may have more details to work on
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
CA1349052
Occasional Advisor

OK, here is the generated ticket.
meloni
Honored Contributor

hello,

This is a IBM branded Autoloader, you cannot use L&TT with it, you have to contact IBM in order to upgrade or maintain it

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
CA1349052
Occasional Advisor

Actually, I just got a similar response from IBM, which is why I cam to the HP site and forum. Indeed, there is an IBM Ultrium-TD1 drive, but the "changer" is HP.

So, the IBM technician told me to check with HP firmware first for the "Changer" which could then determine the firmware of the drive.

I have the feeling that this upgrade could be painful.
meloni
Honored Contributor

hello Sean,

I disagree with your IBM contact, if you look in the sticket at the front panel display snapshoot, it report a nice IBM in the front and FW is Firmware Revision: 232I, this is indicating that also the FW is IBM. When HP buy some products from Quantum, or other Vendors, Hp put his FW, and support it, in the same way, HP produce HW for other vendors, and these vendors use the mechanic, and put their FW version on it, and they support it.
I would check for the IBM product number somewhere on the chassis, and go back to IBM support.
Unfortunately the HP LTT cannot flash a FW that is not recognized, this is the reason why you get the error when trying to use it

marino
CA1349052
Occasional Advisor

Let me clarify the hardware setup. The IBM drive is recognized by IBM firmware update software and the technician confirmed that it can be updated with that software (currently version 18N2). I plan on doing that after I understand what to do with the "Changer" firmware.

However, he was not at all familiar with my LTO robot model, which is understandible since it is manufactured by HP. In addition, he confirmed that IBM does not have the firmware for my model and recommended that I check with HP first to know if the Changer firmware will also support the firmware of the IBM drive.

Seemingly, the firmware for the HP Changer does not exist. Perhaps I just need to update the firmware for the Drive?

thanks for all your help.
meloni
Honored Contributor
Solution

;-)) I do not want play ping pong with you, but only IBM can give you the firmware for theire products, HP even if have the same product, can't do nothing.

Also the autoloader not only the drive have a IBM FW, and you can verify this just looking at the front panel. I do not understand why IBM support do not want to support it.

For sure you have to give them the IBM Product number, not the HP one :-))

The Product number for IBM should be: 3600-109

the manual is here

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/options/21p9992.pdf

and the support website should be this.
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q1=3600-109&uid=psg1MIGR-4V4PEF&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=usтМй=en

Hope this clarify the situation.

Marino
meloni
Honored Contributor

I do some search...
I'm becoming experienced with IBM autoloader, if I loose my job, I will try with IBM,

here is the way to FW upgrade (apparently via web interface), all should be in the iso immage of a CDRom
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=psg1MIGR-39400&loc=en_US
or individual files should be here
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=TAPE-FILES

does it help?

marino