New Discussion юеВ

Autoloader 1/9 firmware problems

BR808869

Autoloader 1/9 firmware problems

Hi

Config:
Windows 2000 AD Server
Arcserve v9.0
HP Autoloader 1/9 DLT1 (identified in AS as C7145(loader) and BNCHMARK DLT1 (drive))

Problem with backup, and unload of tape
HP recommends firmware update of units.
No new firmware for loader C7145 = REV 2710
Drive BNCHMARK DLT1 upgraded from V050/ML03 to V064/ML03

Running the HP test utility LTT and scanning for devices and running diags.
The utility sees both units and can make operations as move/load tape, read/write a.s.o
Self test, analysis. Everything looks ok.

Running the ArcServe utility, Device configuration, and choosing option Tape Library,
were to assign drive units to library units. The the only thing the utlity sees is the loader, C7145,
and there is no visible drive unit (BNCHMARK DLT1) to select to assign to the loader.

But, if I run the AS application, Device Wizard, it sees the DLT1 drive and can perform operations as eject tape.

In ArcServe application, under Devices, the drive Unit BNCHMARK DLT1 shows and the C7145 shows, but the drive is not connected "under" the C7145
unit as it sholud be and the icon for the loader goes off-line.
Causing and error in ArcServe log:
E8000 Critical Error, changer must have at least one changer device assigned.

I've appliad the ArcServe pathce "Device Patch 6a" with no differnce.

If I downgrade the DLT1 firmware to the old V050/ML03 the loader and drive shows up again correctly in ArcServe, but I really need this firmware upgrade
since it corrects the unload problem that I have !

Is there as mismatch in the old firmware of the loader and the drive ?
Any new firmware for the loader ?

Tips ??

//Jan O
2 REPLIES 2
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: Autoloader 1/9 firmware problems

generaly speaking, the backup software have a compatibility list, in this list some software identify the products with the enquiry string plus the firmware version.
based on these info, the device is recognized and managed by the software.
It may be that ArcServer do not have updated the compatibility list, so the autoloader with that fw do not appear as a library but as two separated generic devices, a loader HP and a dlt2 Benchmark.
I would suggest to contact Arcserve support and se if this is the case

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
BR808869

Re: Autoloader 1/9 firmware problems

New version of backup software detected the device with new firmware, and backups could be made. But the device still causes error.
Contacting HP support suggets replacing the device due to too many hardware error.

Replace the device with another type and we're oprational again.