1748239 Members
3672 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Autoloader 1/9 tape Library

Jerry Belardo
Occasional Contributor

Autoloader 1/9 tape Library

I have a Hp Autoloader 1/9 . I have a couple of questions.

Will it work with an ML370 on a Raid Controllers port? We put the chip witch turned the regular scsi card to an array.

If a tape was used in another tape drive does that mean that it should not be used in another drive?

How long should a long erase take?

thanks Jerry
5 REPLIES 5
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Re: Autoloader 1/9 tape Library

Hi Jerry.
I would suggest, you run the library on it's own interface. Otherwise you will not have the performance you want. This also depends on the type of drive in your lib.

About the tape :
if you have a tape for this lib, that was used in a different drive, you should be able to initiate or format the tape, before you use it. This should only take a few minutes.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Jerry Belardo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I definitly agree with its own interface. The drive was just replace and the customer still says it is not working. As for working on the array controller have you ever heard anyone who has used a tape drive with one.

thanks
Jerry
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi Jerry.
Tell the customer, that the loss of performance on the raid controler will be massive. Depending on the disks the drive in the lib may not go to streaming mode ( also depends on size of files / many small files take longer ). A separate controler should not cost an arm and a leg.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Leslie Martin
Frequent Advisor

Jerry
Some 1/9 libraries have a High Voltage Differential interface. The ML370 will have a LVd interface in which case it will not work.
Are the library and drive detected at the POST when the server is powered on ? Also which generation of ML370 is it ?
Jerry Belardo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. It does post the drive and library. It is an old generation one ML 370
server. It is on a SBS 2000 server. To service the drive puts the users out for a while . I am trying to convince them to put the drive on another machine with a newer controller.

Jerry