StoreEver Tape Storage
1752766 Members
5243 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Autoloader 448 and Windows Server 2003

jeffgman

Autoloader 448 and Windows Server 2003

I am having some trouble getting my server to see the Autoloader 448 backup device. If I run the Adaptec diagnostic program during boot, the Adaptec card sees the HP Autoloader 448 device correctly. But, when Windows boots, it does not see the device. I cannot see the device in device settins, in HP LT&T, or in Veritas. I think I have installed the correct driver, but it still does not work. Can anybody offer me some help in regards to where I can look for this problem?

I am running a DL140 with Windows Server 2003 32-bit version. I have an Adaptec SCSI RAID 2120S card.

Thanks for any help you can offer me.

Jeff
1 REPLY 1
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Re: Autoloader 448 and Windows Server 2003

There is no "448" autoloader but there is a 418 , a 4048, and several autoloaders with 448 drives. They are quite a bit different so exactly which autoloader you have is important.

I would guess that you have an autoloader with a 448 drive.

The autoloader is very likely using LUN mode. I don't have the specs on that card but most RAID cards I have worked with do not support LUN mode. In that case you should see the drive but not the library.

Your comment sounds like maybe you don't see the drive or the library. Drivers don't effect whether a device is seen in device manager, only where. If you don't see the device at all you have a connection problem of some kind. HBA, HBA bios, HBA driver, cable, terminator, SCSI ID conflict, etc.

Seeing something during the boot but not after Windows is running sound like a windows HBA driver problem or possibly a SCSI ID conflict. Sometimes one SCSI device will respond faster than another and show during an initial scan but later neither device will show.