New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup Exec 11d does not find MSL6030

SOLVED
Go to solution
Prabhulj
Valued Contributor

Miika,

The controller (NSR) is not being listed on the device Map)
It should ideally look like

FC LUN Protocol Bus Device Specific Address Type Status Device Description
0 PSCSI 0 Target= 0 Lun= 0 CHGR UP COMPAQ MSL6000 Series 0518
1 PSCSI 0 Target= 1 Lun= 0 TAPE UP HP Ultrium 2-SCSI F68W
2 PSCSI 1 Target= 2 Lun= 0 TAPE UP HP Ultrium 2-SCSI F68W
3 AF Lun= 0 CTLR UP NSR E1200-160

Miika T
Valued Contributor

Prabhulj,

the e1200 was removed from the map, as the backup exec did not see the msl (only the drives) and this was suggested by HP support.

-Miika
Prabhulj
Valued Contributor

Miika,

Have attached a Small reference guide.
kindly have a look @ it.

Regarding deleting the NSR on the mapping,

" Unless you are using the OpenVMS operating system, make sure the Active Fabric (AF) is listed as the last LUN in the table. If Active Fabric gets assigned to LUN 0, it will cause problems in HP-UX, and should be moved by using Delete Map Item(s) and Discovered Device Entry."

could you try re-configuring the Mapping and snure NSR is listed.

Regards,
Prabhu
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

I think that the point is being missed here a bit ....... If your O/S and BE can "see" both the library changer, and the drives - then the NSR and mappings must be OK.

It seems to me the problem is with Windows or BE not handling the changer. How did the drivers get installed ? -- did you get BE to install them, or did you do it manually ?

When I install HP drivers for Windows - I use the automatic installation/upgrade program:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=316040&prodNameId=1849286&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-47872-2

....and I usually find any unidentified changers and drives "magically" get identified. However, with Veritas products, they like to have Veritas drivers - so they could possibly have an equivalent utility.

Rich
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Rich,

os automatically identifies the library as Unknown medium changer (uses Microsoft driver for this) and the tape drives are not installed at first (devices with ?). I used Veritas tapeinst to install drivers for these.

-Miika
Prabhulj
Valued Contributor

Miika,

Have you tried to install the "tape Driver" installer.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=316040&prodNameId=1849286&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-47872-2

Try installing this to check if the Exchanger gets recognised on the Windows DM.

Prabhu
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Prabhulj,

this only installs HP drivers for the Ultrium drives, not the medium changer.

And I can't extract the package, so I could try to update the medium changer driver and point the directory for these files.

-Miika
Prabhulj
Valued Contributor

Miika,

This would install the drivers for the "Automation Devices" which is the medium changer.

Release Notes:
This utility will automatically install the SCSI drivers for HP StorageWorks Ultrium, DLT, SDLT tape and tape automation devices for systems running Microsoft Windows 2000 or Microsoft Windows Server 2003. These drivers are provided for the Microsoft Windows Native Backup Utility and other Backup Software that requires tape drivers to be loaded.
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

Windows uses a SCSI passthru mechanism so doesn't usually need a driver, just correct identification. It may be worth running the HP driver utility - but you would have to reload the Veritas tape drivers for the drives afterwards. I found a copy of the Veritas DDI (device driver installer) here:

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/downloads.jsp?pid=15047

but you probably already have this ???

Rich
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Symantec support seems to think the problem is with device identifier. I get an event log entry that says COMPAQ MSL6000 Series 0518 and the hardware compatibility list is for:

MSL6000 series LTO2
(6030/6060)
HP^^^^^^MSL6000 SCSI SCSI ID HP StorageWorks Ultrium
460 LTO2
HP^^^^^^Ultrium^2-SCSI SCSI LTO

So based on this information, does anyone know, if it is possible to change the identifier from Compaq to HP? Only Compaq 5000 series is found from the HCL and all later models are for HP.

-Miika