New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup Exec 11d does not find MSL6030

SOLVED
Go to solution
Uli B├╢hm
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

to change the identifier from CPQ to HP you have to make an Firmware Upgrade.

- Uli
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

I don't think a firmware upgrade will make any difference - V5.18 is only a few months old anyway.

Was this unit purchased as a Compaq library, or HP ? - most MSL6000's were HP, so has the controller module been replaced, or some settings modified ?.

There is a low-level utility called MSLutil.
If I remember correctly, there is an option in that utility to set the identity to Overland, Compaq, or HP. It runs on a Windows box, and uses a serial connection into the library controller. Its available as a download here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1849286&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=316040&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005#930

However - there isn't much documentation, its not that intuative to use, and you need a special RJ11>D-type cable to use it (this should have been shipped with the library).

It may be worthwhile logging a hardware call with HP, if you're not confident using this utility.

Rich
Uli B├╢hm
Frequent Advisor
Solution

You could change the product- & vendor identification in the Menu. On the Display/ Touchscreen press Menu, than SCSI at "edit options". You find Product- & vendor identification there.
Miika T
Valued Contributor

I couldn't locate the option from the menu, and I used mslutil instead. Unfortunately, this only gives the option to choose between Compaq and Overland :-( No HP available.

-Miika
Miika T
Valued Contributor

I upgraded the HP_6000_520 firmware, but before it was possible, I needed to modify manually the Vendor information with mslutil. After this I cold booted the library and the possibility to change the vendor information in the menu structure came available (mslutil still displayed only Compaq/Overland). By doing this Backup exec recognized the library just fine.

Thanks to everyone!

-Miika
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

Wow - that seemed like harder work than it should have been........
can't believe you're the first to go thru that particular "loop"

Rich