1752604 Members
4407 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Backup Failure

Michael Bright
Occasional Contributor

Backup Failure

I am responsible for a School Network of 500 users and 120 computers but am not an IT Pro, basically an Arts teacher who has had "greatness thrust upon him" because he did a few courses in IT across the curriculum. Everything has gone smoothly with our Tape Backup on Win 2000 Server till the last fortnight. It keeps failing and in the log it is always at the same spot. I have cleaned the tape drive and even got new tapes - we rotate 10 over the fortnight. I am wondering if it has something to do with the Exchange Server Database - the priv1.stm file is very large - about 4 Gb. I am attaching the latest log file from Backup Exec. I hope someone can shed light on this. Thank you
4 REPLIES 4
clay bowman
Frequent Advisor

Re: Backup Failure

From looking at the log it looks as if the job is completing, but failing during the verify. Try deselecting the verify for a couple of days and see if the job completes. Veritas does a verification during the backup so it's not going to cause any harm.
Michael Bright
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Clay, I will try that and let you know.
The_Viking_1
Occasional Advisor

Change your tape, it's look like a bad tape. If not look for some session timeout
Michael Bright
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Clay. I eventually got a full backup for the first time in a fortnight. Turning off the verify check box solved the problem. I am still mystified as to why it has suddenly become a problem though.

At least for the moment I can breathe easily. I rarely have had to use access to the backup tape, but you know Murphy's law - the very night it doesn't work some teacher accidently deletes vital files and then asks me to get them back.

Thanks again.