4875 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup error witdh DL320 and MSL2024

CLEB
Valued Contributor

Curtis

I have this problem constantly. I have two servers in this configuration and they both fail with "Windows NT SCSI port" errors whenever I try and run a backup.

I have downgraded the SG44Ge driver to StorPort version 1.24.4.0 and have so far managed to backup 62GB.

Fingers crossed.

BTW backup add is ARCserve r12.0 SP2 (Build 5611)
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The standalone firmware is now released and available at hp.com. The library firmware is almost out.

Downgrading the HBA firmware seems to be very effective at resolving the issue if there isn't something you need in the newer firmware. We didn't investigate in depth to see what was different with the earlier firmware but instead worked to tolerate the behavior in the newer firmware.

I would be interested in long term results of the firmware downgrade.
CLEB
Valued Contributor

Is the firmware for HP StorageWorks LTO-4 Ultrium 1760 Tape Drive?

I see U29D still listed on drivers and software pages.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

U52D should be the firmware listed on the drivers and updates page for standalone drives. I selected the 1760 SAS standalone tape drive and Windows 2K3 64 bit and got the firmware download link. I don't know if the link I used will work - some of the URLs are dynamic and don't copy/past well.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3663381&swItem=MTX-0daa7e3db7254701beae5d9ea1&prodNameId=3663388&swEnvOID=1060&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0
CLEB
Valued Contributor

I was expecting the firmware for use with LLT to change version.

I'll try this download today as my backups are failing again with the same symptoms.
Evert Goor
Trusted Contributor

Any news on this problem. It looks like this error is getting more and more standard at customers.
CLEB
Valued Contributor

I've had a call logged with HP about my issue. Not heard anything for a couple of days now and I still can't backup my servers!

Last notification from HP was "Our apologies, we have not been successful in reaching you, I just wanted
to let you know Our Tape Storage team is following up on your case:
4603126563, issue with the HP StorageWorks 1760 tape drive attached to the
SC44Ge controller card."

Not sure if this means they are working on it.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

All occurances of this issue should be resolved with the latest controller and tape drive firmware. If somebody feels they are having a similar issue they need to post to a new thread. The only issues I have seen not fixed by the firmware were a bad cable or a poor cable connection.

If the drive has not updated correctly with the new drive firmware there are a lot of methods for updating drive firmware. Unloading the tape and using L&TT is my preferred method. The drive must report the correct firmware revision.
CLEB
Valued Contributor

I did post a new thread, to which I got no replies whatsoever.