StoreEver Tape Storage
1748080 Members
5351 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Backup failed on Ultrium-2 SCSI

Max Komarov

Backup failed on Ultrium-2 SCSI

Scenario 1: Backup some files using NTBackup on W2K3 Server R2 SP2. After few files backed up (volume of backuped data not greater then 100 Mb) the backup process stopping and not responding during 20 min.After that the NT event log receiving events from source lsi_scsi:
- ID 129 Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued.
- ID 11 The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1.

After that I read many inet pages about this problem, have installed patches and fixes, upgraded bios and firmwarez, but have not positive result.

Scenario 2: I deploy a DPE 3.5 sp2. I stop and disable MS RSS. I prepare lybrary, tapes and so on, but when I start test backup - I still have result as above - but duration of device unresponsibility - above 1 hour.
But I get some add details from DPE - Error 1040: No devices specified or all devices are now offline.

Please, help me!!!

Platform:
Proliant DL350R05 (W2K3 R2 SP2 Std Eng)
storport.dll (5.2.3790.3959)

Ultra320 SCSI PCI-X (FW:1.03.39, BIOS:5.07.03)
lsi_scsi.sys (NT driver 1.28.3.0, but version 1.24.4.0 and 1.10.x.x also tried)

1x8 G2 Autoloader (FW:2.80, NT driver 1.9.0.0)
Ultrium-2 SCSI Drive (S63W, NT driver 1.0.6.1)
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Backup failed on Ultrium-2 SCSI

Hi Max

Have you rescanned your devices in Device manager after the controller error as the devices will apear offline if The Devices arent visible in Device manager.

Kind Regards
MichaelT
Ganz
Trusted Contributor

Hi Max,

The best way to find out if the hardware is working is by using the L&TT (Library and Tape Tools and run the Drive assessment test using a test tape. The backups can also abort/hang due to excessive polling from the driver which can be seen from a support ticket. Something else to check would be the cabling and Terminators. When DPE reports drive offline Error 1040, are the drives still seen in the OS?

Max Komarov

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your comment.

No, nothing changes in Device manager was found after backup failure - all devices still be in good state.
In addition, any other operations with library device (move, inventory etc) still run with success after backaup failure.
Max Komarov

Hi Ganz,

Thank you for your reply.

I checked device state by LTT and found if no problem.

Please find LTO drive assessment test results in file attached. But summary is
'The test has PASSED and the drive is GOOD.'

Hi Max

Is it possible to run a backup to Disk and let us know the outcome.

Thanks
MichaelT
Max Komarov

Michael,

I backup 2,7Gb (976 files) of data to disk by ntbackup utility now for 7'19" and all the best.