StoreEver Tape Storage
1748197 Members
2597 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Backup issue please help...

Backup issue please help...

Hi all!
I have a SDLT ultrium 320 tape drive attached to HP proliant ML570 server running windows server 2003 I have been taking the backup without any problem using windwows ntbackup with 320GB tape.Now the size of my data is 195GB any time I issue the backup after some time it will give me the following error " Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: DLT
Media name: "Media created 9/3/2007 at 11:21 AM"

Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
Backup (via shadow copy) of "C: "
Backup set #1 on media #1
Backup description: "Set created 9/3/2007 at 11:23 AM"
Media name: "Media created 9/3/2007 at 11:21 AM"

Backup Type: Normal

Backup started on 9/5/2007 at 4:00 AM.
The requested media failed to mount. The operation was aborted.
The operation was ended.
Backup completed on 9/5/2007 at 6:44 AM.
Directories: 328
Files: 102646
Bytes: 166,231,674,777
Time: 2 hours, 43 minutes, and 7 seconds

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete."
after some troubleshooting the error message has changed to this " The current media is full and there is not free media. Please add media or click cancel to stop the backup".
Any help???
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: Backup issue please help...

The SDLT tapes you're using have a capacity of 160 GB, and you're writing almost 160 GB to them.
Check if you have hardware compression enabled on the backup application. You can also run a compression test with Library and Tape Tools.

NB: the DLT tape is 320GB of capacity, not 160GB.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

No.
1st in your message you write "SDLT ultrium 320", that does not exist, either it's SDLT or it's Ultrium.
Later you say: Active backup destination: DLT
So it's a SDLT 160/320. That means 160 GB real capacity, 320 GB assuming a 2:1 compression, which can be possible or not depending on the data being copied and on whether you have compression enabled on your software.
If you can write 160 GB to a 160 GB tape, then there's nothing wrong, you could possibly write more if you enable compression.

You are may be right what is the tangible solution of getting rid of this issue because I must solve it as soon as possible for one week I have not been able to take my backup successfully.