1753667 Members
5803 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup problems with MSL2024

Ian Pennington_1
Occasional Advisor

Just an update for all of you. We have had a difficult time with HP trying to resolve this. HP tried to blame the CA BrightStor software for a few months but all testing proved there was an issue with the SCSI HW or drivers. We switched to fibre channel drives in the MSL2024, for testing, and all problems dissapeared! The trouble is that HP have tried to shed all responsibility for this trouble and to date have yet to agree a way forward to finally fix this isue. My company is so disgusted with HP that I am now in talks with Dell to replace all 107 HP servers we use as well as the 1400 desktops.
Netics

Hi everyone!
I have found a solution for this problem with my tape library.
The problem was with a library device, which had 2 SCSI interfaces, and on the free interface there was no Warp Tool inserted. I think, this SC11Xe HBA does not support automatic termination and Warp Tool should be installed.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

A problem has been identified with the SC44Ge and the MSL2024/4048 libraries with LTO-3 SAS drives in a very small number of configurations. We have been able to resolve the issue with a drive firmware change. New firmware was approved today for open escalations working with HP support and will be posted as soon as testing is complete. The revision is C25W. A full test cycle takes several weeks so the final release won't be for a few weeks yet.
Ian Pennington_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks but the previous reply does not cover my HW setup.
jacksbox
Advisor

I don't know if it's too late, or if this is the advice you're looking for, but we experienced something similar with our MSL4048.

In the end, the solution was to stop and disable the HP WMI Storage Provider service in Windows.

Just my 2 cents.
berengere

I have a similar problem with DL360G5 and SC44Ge. The backup software is CA Brighstor 12.0, the operation system is W2K8. I installed the most newest firmware (8.50) but the backup failed, and the HP LTT utility failed too. We changed the card, the cable, the LTO, and I reinstalled the system on a W2K3 server (DL360G5 too). The tape backup always failed, but the filesystem backup run well. (The file backup does not use the SC44Ge card.)
I am waiting for the new firmware..
Ian Pennington_1
Occasional Advisor

Well, we have resolved the issue (somewhat). All the backup has been moved to fibre (at HP expense). and now I am backing up 2TB a night with no problems at all. The SCSI in the servers seems unable to scale to the data size I now have.

This whole issue has made me think about HP server suitability for my business, and I don't think I will be ordering and HP hardware soon!
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Sorry to hear that the original configuration wasn't able to be stablized. Unfortunately this link kind of got hijacked by a SAS discussion that didn't relate to your problems at all.

Parallel SCSI is usually a very stable configuration and works fine with the storage agents running but apparently there was something a little unusual this time. There were some problems where the agents would conflict in the past but those have been resolved and there shouldn't be any problems.

I am experiencing a very similar problem to those reported above and desperately require a solution.
I am running a DL385 G5 with an SC44Ge HBA connected to an external Ultrium 920 LTO3 drive.
Server is running Windows 2008 Std Ed 64Bit, HP PSP 8.30 and Backup Exec 12.5
HBA driver is 1.28.2.1.C
BIOS 6.18.5.0
FW 1.23.43.0
Ultrium Drive FW Q24D
Backups fail after 15GB with multiple I/O errors, LSI_SAS Event ID 11 errors, Backup Exec errors 33152 & 57665.
From searching around the forums this seems to be a known issue with these sort of configs & HBA cards. There was talk of a new FW from HP etc.
What is the definitive fix for this issue and is it workable on Windows 2008???
Any responses or advice appreciated!
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

This thread is closed. Please do not post any more follow-ups as the thread has diverged from the original question.

If you got here looking at SC44Ge and SAS responses use the following firmware for drives in tape libraries:
LTO-3 SAS - U25W or Q25W
LTO-4 SAS - U51W