3611 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup sizing problem over WAN

auludag
Occasional Advisor

Backup sizing problem over WAN

hi,

i have a question. i have 6 locations and i want to backup my datas on headquarters. total data is 180 mb. (approximately 30 mb at every area.) but the problem is bandwidth of my lines. they are 64K. so here are my question?

does an ultrium tape library solve my problem? which backup software perform well over this weak lines?

Kind Regards,
3 REPLIES 3
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Ultrium drives will be overkill for your solution. The amount of data you are backing up in total does not even begin to use the capacity (LTO-1 = 200GB compressed and LTO-2 = 400GB compressed) not to mention the $$$

More than anything, Ultrium drives will soon have problems because you will not be able to stream the data to them as fast as they want. You might consider an AIT, DAT or a small DLT drive as an alternative.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/dat24/index.html

As far as software, there a many to choose from. HP has a good solution... so does Veritas and other companies. Many can offer you a solution that has all the bells and whistles to give you backup over IP.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Another solution would be to backup all your location to one server or one storage and then when finished over the wan, make a local backup of your data, and here you can use a LTO

auludag
Occasional Advisor

first thank for your cooperation. i'd like to correct my mistake. I saw that i've written MB. actual data size is GB.

my another thought was replication via storage mirroring replication software.
What i decide is, local backup for every 3 area, cause of inconsistency of data lines. and i will send the cartridges of 2 other areas to center.

regards,