HP rp7400 servers
EVA8000 with HP StorageWorks 4/16 SAN Switch
MSL6060 Tape Library with 3xUltrium 960 drives
DP A.05.50 with Windows Cell Manager
Database for backup is multi of 2GB files, not much small files

Currently our backup speed is too slow:
+ Backup via SAN: around 60GBs/hour
+ Backup via LAN: around 17Gbs/hour
As I know the speed in theory of LTO3 is native speed of 80MB/sec and a compressed speed of 160 MB/sec for 2:1 compression.
Please help me fix the slow speed of our backup system

Thanks a lot
Tung Dang
8 REPLIES 8
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Backup too slow !

Try download this document for help :

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/5982-9971EN.pdf
Tung Dang
Advisor

Dear Sirs,
thanks for your reply. I'm reading this document.
Does anybody have another ideas?

regards,
Tung
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Tung,

Could you detail exactly how things are set up please... We know what hardware you've got, but how is it linked together ?

Cheers,

Rob
Tung Dang
Advisor

Dear Sirs,
Thank you for your reply.
we have 2 servers: SERVER1 AND SERVER2, both of them connect to EVA8000 via SAN switches by FC protocol. MSL6060 backup library and DL360 backup server (CM) also connected to SAN Switches via FC protocol. MSL tape library have 3 drives: drive1 was configured for SERVER1 as client, and drvie2 for SERVER2, drive3 for backup server as client. Both drive1 and drive2 use license UNIX, NAS, SAN; drive3 use windows license. We want to backup data from SERVER1 and SERVER2 to MSL6060 tape library.
but the issue now is the backup speed is too slow.

Please help me to fix it.

Thanks and Best regards,
Tung
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor

What will be the block size you are using?
If it's 64kb, change it to a bigger block size.

You can also use a staging procedure, by performing disk to disk backups

Please take a look at this

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50460
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Currently our backup speed is too slow:
+ Backup via SAN: around 60GBs/hour
+ Backup via LAN: around 17Gbs/hour
As I know the speed in theory of LTO3 is native speed of 80MB/sec and a compressed speed of 160 MB/sec for 2:1 compression.

1- forget the Lan backup, the speed of this kind of backup have nothing to do with the tape performance, this is clear reading that the SAN backup reach 60GB/Hours)

2- The backup via SAN reach 60 GB/H, this is not so bad
you can fine tune reading this doc: http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/5982-9971EN.pdf

the performance can be checked also with LTT, there is a tests calle system performance that check the Host (speed time to read data) and a Device performance test (this will send data from the memory of the host directly to the tape drive, and will check the performance of the scsi subsystem and drive)
Ususaly the performance may be limited by the host (due to the kind of data, the application that is running, or HW conflicts) or may be limited by the san (bottleneck) or limited by the library (if you added the LTO3 to a older MSL5000 or MSL6000, the drive speed may be limited by the library itself) of also by the NSR model you are using.running the test will give you an overview.
Tung Dang
Advisor

Dear All,
Thanks you for your help and support!
I asked support from HP Support engineers and they suggested changing the block size to 256k and after that the performance insignificantly increased.

Thanks again.
I will close this case now.

Tung

Tung Dang
Advisor

I will close this case now.