StoreEver Tape Storage
1752604 Members
4595 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backups slowing then failing for larger backups

michaeloib

Backups slowing then failing for larger backups

Hello we have the following, HP Ultrium 1840 LTO4 tape drive with LTO3 tapes, VMware ESXi 4.0, SBS Server 2008 guest OS, BackupExec 12.5 , HP SC11Xe SCSI HBA connecting tape drive.

We are experiencing some issues with backups. We have all new hardware and we keep getting Hard write Errors when backing up to tape. I have been able to do a small successfull backup of about 20Gb. I have not been able to backup more than 100Gb before failing due to hardware error. It also appears to be consistently slowing down from over 4gb/min to less than 1Gb/min, but unsure if this is related.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the cause may be? It may be due to unsupported SCSI HBA with ESXi?

Thank you.
Mike
3 REPLIES 3
king_william
Occasional Advisor

could you plz specify the server which you use with ur tape drive?
michaeloib

sorry forgot to mention we are using a HP DL380 G6 server.

It appears that we have a fix for it with the scsi busy/retry settings which was increased from 20 to 250 and a storport driver hotfix from microsoft as advised by a hp technician. It appears to be fixed as it has completed a tape backup of 150Gb. I will be monitoring further and advise if any further issues. Thank you for your response.
king_william
Occasional Advisor

if you want send me the support ticket(through L&TT)to analyse if you have a problem with RSM Pooling