4614 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

C1528F - SureStore 6000i eating tapes

IT Response
Esteemed Contributor

C1528F - SureStore 6000i eating tapes

Hi,

I'm running a SureStore 6000i (Product# C1528F) on Vectra XU 2/600 running NT 4.0, ServPak 5.

In the last few days, the 6000i must have been getting hungry, in that, it has been eating tapes while using NTBackup. (NTBackup has been the only application run on the tape drive)

The behavior is, the backup appears to complete successfully - with a verify, the tape rewinds, but when ejecting the DDS cartridge, part of the tape is stuck inside the drive unit.

Tapes it has enjoyed munching on, have been: HP DDS-1 90 meter (92283B), HP DDS-2 120 meter (92300A).

I have ran a tape cleaning cartridge about 4-5 times on the unit, but it still wants to chew on tapes.

Looking for suggestions at this point: ?) Am I looking at mechanical failure? ?) Update firmware ?) Run the cleaning cartridge a few more times ?) other ???.

Thanks for your response,

Ross Benight
HP Services
Response Center
HPUX System Interrupt Team
ross.benight@hp.com
1-648-7958
2 REPLIES 2
BR157845

Re: C1528F - SureStore 6000i eating tapes

It is definitely mechanical failure.

I recommend sending it to your local HP repair shop or vendor, if it is still under warranty take it to your vendor.

Also make sure the enviroment it lives in is fine. Not to much moisture etc ...

PS! When you remove it watch your fingers ... it might hunger for more than just tape ;)

Regards
Gerhard
I never know what to put in here
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Re: C1528F - SureStore 6000i eating tapes

Looks like a faulty drive to me. I doubt it has warranty as it is a long obsolete model. It was replaced sy SureStore DAT8 a few years ago.

Rothery