108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

C1537-00485 Dat Drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris_234
Occasional Advisor

C1537-00485 Dat Drive

I have the above dat drive but no documentation. Could anyone please let me know what the 8 No. jumper pins should be set to for Scsi ID 6 and also which pins need to be connected on the rear of the unit, (eg NC,SCSI 0, SCSI 1, SCSI 2 & TERM PWR). Incedinally, I am trying to install with a Adaptec 2940 scsi card without any luck.
8 REPLIES 8
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: C1537-00485 Dat Drive

scsi set to SIX

These are the jumper |=closed , :=open

nc= not connected
scsi0 scsi1 scsi2 = set scsi adress in binary mode

Term Pwr= power termination, different than bus terminator, is used to maintain the right voltage on the SCSI chanel (Usualy on long cable)

Chris_234
Occasional Advisor

Hi Meloni,

I am more confused now than ever. My dat drive is a Compaq C1537-00485, Replace with Compaq P/N 340593-001. The drive has 8 No. jumper pins on the top which are currently as the following :-1,2 & 3 set to ON, 4,5,6 & 7 set to OFF & 8 ON, what is this set to?. As for the pins on the rear, should I then remove all these as these option settings are taken care of with the software. The cable I am also using currently has two connectors with a third connector 3/4 way down. Do I need to put a terminator on this connector which is not used.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

I do not know exactly your dat model but I suppose he has the same hardware than the HP DAT, so the 8 dipSwitch are used to select some functions, the rear jumper are to set scsi id and power terminator.

related to the connection, you need to have:
or a terminated cable (a small box at the end of the cable) or you need to connect the DAT at the first connection connector and at the last you need to connect a terminator.
a terminator is need anyway.

here is a link to a DAT manual, you will found some interesting informations

http://h200002.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg28539/lpg28539.pdf
Chris_234
Occasional Advisor

Hi Meloni

Thanks for the link, I think this should help alot.

Regards

Chris
Chris Booth

Finally got Windows XP to recognise the dat drive. Started using the backup facility within Windows and backed up a few files to test it out. Backup was successful but when I now try and do a backup it keeps saying media not inserted correctly. Looked in the help facility but doesn't cover error messages. What is the error trying to tell me. I've checked and removed the tape, cleaned the drive and re-inserted the tape and tried again, but keep getting the same message. What gives now!!!!! After all this could my drive be up the creek.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hello,
Try to play with removable storage,
In computer managment you will found Removable storage, you need to inport and prepare the tapes bifaore using it, and this tool some time interfere with operations so check if the tape in some pool
marino
Chris_234
Occasional Advisor

Not sure what you mean, computer management?. The only places the drive is displyed is in device manager and also located when you go into the backup program. The backup seems to start ok, i.e. mounting tape drive, but then displays rewinding tape and then displays the message "tape not inserted correctly". I cannot understand why the first test backup worked and all subsequent attempts have been unsuccessful.
Jeff XSi
Frequent Advisor

By the way, your drive is an OEM mech - as such it is not covered by HP warranty - refer to reseller for h.ware exchange.
Do not update f/ware on this unit without go -ahead from HP tech support!!

L&TT - www.hp.com/support/lttdownload will diagnose any problems..

Hope this can be of some use to you in the future..

thanks

jeff