StoreEver Tape Storage
1753925 Members
8451 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

C1537A DAT Drive Backup problems

Mike Molyneux_2

C1537A DAT Drive Backup problems

Hi, got a problem with a C1537A DAT drive.
Often the backup (using Windows 2000 NTBackup) will fail with the error -
The requested media is write-protected. _____________________________________
The DDS3 tapes are brand new and are not write protected. I've used a cleaning type at least 5 times in a row. Occasionally the drive will backup fine for several days in a row and then the problem will suddenly appear.

Also, sometimes when a tape is inserted into the drive it gets ejected after about 10 seconds. If you push it back in again then usually it stays in.
Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: C1537A DAT Drive Backup problems

Go here and download Library and Tape tools diagnostic to test your drive, upgrade firmware etc.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Mike Molyneux_2

Thanks, I've already ran the L&TT and it seems to run the tests mostly OK. If I get it to generate a support ticket then it lists this error - 'Serial EEPROM Data is not accessible on this drive' and 'Invalid EEPROM log'.
All the tests seem to run OK, occasionally it tells me that media errors are logged and to replace media. Also sometimes that the drive needs cleaning, but I've done that about 10 times!
CA1219004

Mike,

I'm having this same problem on with a drive. Did you find an answer to this question? Thanks.

Scott
Mike Molyneux_2

No I did not! I've seen reports of similar problems and the response is usually clean the drive, firmware etc., etc., but I have tried all of these but still continue to get the same thing.
meloni
Honored Contributor

Is you drive in a bad enviroment with dust?, have a look inside, and see if some sensor may get stucked by contaminants.
Microsiwtches sense these functions, and are very small and sensible

---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Mike Molyneux_2

Hi, thanks for the reponse. The drive is not in a dusty environment. The problem is I wouldn't know where to look inside the drive to check for problems. Also, if this were the problem then surely it would happen all the time, not just every now & then, like it is doing....?
CA1226011

Hi,

I also have the same problem with the same drive.
(btw: I work for different companies and i encounter this particular problem also on other HP servers with different OS versions and all kinds of backup software).

But my problem just got worse, when it happens the server shuts down immediatly and after powering up the server i get the message "no operating system found". To solve this i have to phisycly disconnect the drive, boot up the server, shutdown, connect the drive and start up again.

It all worked fine for 2 years and nothing changed in the last few months. The tape drive was sent to hp for repairs, they swapped it but problem is still there.

Help....

Many thanx

Jerry
BR842454

I also have the same problems and have tried every single remedy suggested over and over again, with very little success.

Does anyone know what the cause of this problem is? or is it time to change backup hardware vendors?
CA1228481

I just posted a new thread on this topic(just noticed this thread). I am having the same problem. I've been using the drive for about 1.5 years with no problems. Now I get this error and others also. Does anyone have a solution??