StoreEver Tape Storage
1753808 Members
8022 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C1537A (DAT24i SCSI)

CA707557

C1537A (DAT24i SCSI)

Upgraded to an Adaptec 29160 HBA from a 2940. Tape Assure test PASSES!!! but...
Colorado back up gets as far as to "read the start of media" successfully but then STOPS to give the following error message:

"The following error code was reported."
"The media controller is not responding correctly"
"(11-0B-21-01-002)"

Wow, I have something responding 'incorrectly' ! As though that's a helpful message? Okay, SOMEBODY wrote this stupid error message; find them and ask them what it means???? (and then send them back for remedial UI training!)

In meantime I put the 2940 back in to run the tape drive so now I have two HBA's when I should only need one.

WHY can't HP list all these error codes on-line to search? If they can't afford to help those who are out of warranty at LEAST give us CUSTOMERS a prayer of a chance to find the problems ourselves.

(I can't even FIND my C1537A listed!)

P.S. This thread has been moved from Archival Products to Tape Libraries and Drives - HP Foruma Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
BR662307
Frequent Advisor

Hi Michael

Have you been able to try any other software? Have you tried configuring the SCSI card? C1537A When shown in software is the SCSI string for the DAT24i drives so to be certain of your model you will need to get this from the sticker on the drive. Also if you are planning to use the Adaptec 29160 do you have the correct drivers and BIOS version. The Bios may need to be updated to fully support this card.

Regards

Emma
CA707557

Thank you Emma. Yes, I flashed the latet BIOS for the 29160 and also installed the latest Ultra160 drivers. I also tried various setting for the SCSI parameters to the tape drive such as disable disconnect, disable wide negotiation, etc. Nothing has any affect.

I posted MAINLY because I want HP to decode what their error code actually means?? ... and also to explain why "tape assure' can come up with a 'pass' when the system obviously fails?

mike@rddane.com
BR662307
Frequent Advisor

Hi again Michael,

Ive worked with TapeAssure for some time and have never come across that error myself....strange that it passes tests if there is this problem. Have you tried another diagnostic program? Maybe Tapeassure isn't correctly reporting on the tests? If you are on a windows based system try to use HP Library and tape tools. ( Available on the main HP site)

As for the error msg with Colorado, im unsure maybe there is a problem with the card, unlikely I know as it is new but also possible. Maybe, if possible, you could try another SCSI device on the card to see if that works correctly. Could be Colorado that has the problem, has it been re-installed at all?

I would suggest trying a different backup software to rule out Colorado being at fault. Tapeware is available for download from www.tapeware.com. Its only an evaluation version but might help sort out what is at fault here as the error msg isn't exactly conclusive with the testing.

Well some things to ponder on whilst we await the response telling us what that eror means exactly. :-)

Regards

Emma
BR661017
Occasional Advisor

Hi Michael,

check the SCSI setting depending of the speed of the device try with a slower speed of the device 10MB/s or 5 MB/s.
The Ultra speed is not possible for this Device.
You get an error message in CA.
You needed to inital the media first was this error message by this operation.

Best regards

Frank