StoreEver Tape Storage
1752726 Members
5777 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: C1537A Drive Errors

William E. Stone

Our backup failed again last night with the same "Error Reported: Data Error (cyclic redunancy check)" message.

I origianally believed this might have resulted from a known issue between RSM and Veritas Backup Exec. Last night the RSM service was disabled, so now I believe the issue is hardware related.

The Device Analysis test in L&TT completed with the warning that the drive may require re-calibration. I have since found that the drive is out of warranty.

What I need to know now is, if we are shopping for a new tape drive, can anyone tell me from the model of the current tape drive, what type of SCSI connection it has. I believe it has a narrow Ultra SCSI 2 connection, but am not 100% certain. Even if I looked at it I wouldn't know what it was.

Thanks,
Bill
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> The Device Analysis test in L&TT completed with the warning that the drive may require re-calibration. I have since found that the drive is out of warranty.

If your drive is out of warranty and backups fail as it is, there's no reason not to try the recalibration script:

Here's more info on the script:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=lpg50236

> if we are shopping for a new tape drive, can anyone tell me from the model of the current tape drive, what type of SCSI connection it has. I believe it has a narrow Ultra SCSI 2 connection, but am not 100% certain. Even if I looked at it I wouldn't know what it was.

Your current DDS3 drive is SE SCSI. If you're shopping for a replacement I'd suggest looking at DDS4 or DDS5. They are LVDS SCSI, which could be used with an SE controller, although you would be much better off upgrading to an Ultra 160 LVD HBA. The DDS4/5 will read your DDS3 tapes for recovery (but stick with native format tapes for future backups).
The journey IS the reward.