StoreEver Tape Storage
1748181 Members
4081 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C1537A not working with dds3 tapes anymore (memory effect)

SOLVED
Go to solution
JM_4

C1537A not working with dds3 tapes anymore (memory effect)

Our C1537A DDS3 dat streamer does not work with dds3 tapes anymore. a technical support person told me this is a known problem that if using dds2 or dds1 tapes too often, a memory effect occures so the drive will not accept any dds3 tapes anymore. they would replace the drive but since our warrenty is over they cannot do anything. even a repair is not possible.
I cannot believe that this is the only answer from hp support.
There is a hidden fault which has to be corrected in my opinion.
Any help?
8 REPLIES 8
Marco Hogeveen
Honored Contributor

Did you try to flash the latest firmware to the tape with LIbrary and Tape tools?
You can download it from: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/information_storage/software/ltt_27_eng.exe

Hope this helps,

Marco.
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Did you use a lot of DDS and DDS2 tapes after all? If so, then your engineer is correct.

Tape drives get replaced, not repaired. Wear-and-tear on the heads using a lot of tapes means that the life of a tape drive is short. You should replace tapes every now and then since old tapes wear the head down more quickly.

Try a cleaning cycle on the drive as a last resort.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
JM_4

I have the latest firmware and cleaned the drive a few times in a row.
Since the drive has not that much woking hours (much less then mtbf) I am not willing to accept the response from support. the drive is compatible to dds and dds2. never heard that using a compatible tape can harm the drive.
I know which accus can suffer from memory effect but not dat streamers.
I just wanted to look if I could get any hints before consulting an attorney. I strongly believe this is a "hidden defect" which has to be replaced.

thanks
Johannes

madoc
Trusted Contributor

Johannes,

It is certainly NOT true that DDS3 drives have a 'memory' where using certain types of media renders them unusable.

One final solution maybe to contact your local call centre and have them talk you through the "DDS3 re-calibration script".

Are you sure that you are out of warranty ? The surestores on these particular DATS have a 3 year warranty from mid 1997 onwards.

cheers

John

Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
JM_4

John, it should not be true and hopefully it is not true for the most devices but as for the C1537A it IS true. A tech person from HP told me that it IS a known problem and they replace it with a new drive if in warrenty.

The re-calibration script does not work because it stops because of errors from the device. Unfortunately warrenty is over and it was working at the beginning of february. So just from one week to the other it refused to work with dds3 tapes. According to the logs, dds3 tapes have been used more often than others. tried to clean the drive with a fresh cleaning cartridge 6 times in a row. used fresh dds3 tapes - nothing. it is dead.
What I really hate is that you trust a brand and someday they tell you: yes, we know, we cannot help you because your warrenty is over.
(would be better they never told me about this memory effect, than I would accept a dead head and buy a new device)

I strongly believe they have to replace it because no tech person I know have ever heard of such a problem and therefore I could not assume of damaging my drive with dds2 tapes.
It only makes me angry having to spend so much time with this...

thank you anyway...

Johannes
madoc
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Johannes,

I don't want to contradict one of our technical support people but this 'tape memory' issue is not true.

Vincent Farrugia is mostly right when he says that certain patterns of media usage can affect the life of the tape drive, but then again so can other factors;

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg51254.html

If you post your email address and let me know what kind of drive you have, then I'll see what can be done.

cheers,

John
JM_4

John,

thank you very much. I did not know you are from hp. I understand that you cannot agree to the memory effect issue.

please email me at matzka@chello.at for further discussing.
I would apreciate an easy solution.

thank you so much
Johannes
madoc
Trusted Contributor

Johannes,

Yes.
I am from HP.

However, if there was any truth in this memory effect then I would happy to discuss it here.

We don't get automatically get an integrity bypass when we join a large organisation 8-)

John