1752796 Members
6278 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

C7200-8000 DLT8000 repl followed by L&TT Error 1014

Mark Sneddon

C7200-8000 DLT8000 repl followed by L&TT Error 1014

C7200-8000 Surestore E 2/20 Tape Library w/ single Quantum DLT8000

DLT8000 replaced per HP recommendations via CSO tech support due to failed backups and HP L&TT test results indicating multiple "Log page 7" errors.

After replacing DLT8000 unit w/ HP-supplied Quantum drive, status is green and normal on tape library. However, running HP Library and Tape Tools (v2.9) returns "failed" on DLT8000 drive, w/ following error code in operations log:

"Application Exception 1014 (Logical Device: invalid bit requested)".

This error was not present before the swap of the DLT8000 drive unit.

FW revs are current for both library (FW 1520) and DLT8000 (v059).

All main panel functions on library (including tests and inventory) show normal, with green indicator LED's and no hard error codes.

Using Veritas Backup Exec v8.60 (build 3878). Ops appear to function normally from BE, other than the fact that the device ID changed with the DLT swap.

Should I be concerned about the "failed" status when running tests from HP L&TT?
6 REPLIES 6
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: C7200-8000 DLT8000 repl followed by L&TT Error 1014

Mark,
I opened your LTT report and did not find these errors. Maybe it's you LTT software problem? Try to re-install it
Eugeny
Ricardo Rocha
Valued Contributor

"Using Veritas Backup Exec v8.60 (build 3878). Ops appear to function normally from BE, other than the fact that the device ID changed with the DLT swap. "

Why is the ID changing? You should have fibre addressing by hardware. If you don't, everytime you reboot, new ID's will appear.
"there is this old man who spent so much of his life sleeping that he is able to keep awake for the rest of his years"
Mark Sneddon

Eugeny ...

Reinstalled HPLTT v2.9 on host server. No change. Still getting that pesky 'invalid bit requested (1014)' error.

I had not gone through each entry of the original 'sticket*.ltt' file that I included in my first post. I now see that the particular error I reference in my original post is not there. I have attached a JPG of an L&TT screenscrape which shows the exact error I'm seeing when I run TEST against both the C7200 library (NORMAL) and the DLT8000 drive (app exception 1014).

At this point, everything appears to be functioning normally in our Veritas Backup Exec software, so I'll considered this a non-urgent, non-critical anomaly that I can live with.

Thanks for your reply and input to my problem.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

I looked at the support ticket and the jpg screen shot.

LTT is having an internal error during the device analysis check. This is a script which reads various logs pages from the drive, and analyzes them for errors. The tool is actually trying to look at information that in a log page that was not returned.

I looked at the support ticket, and it shows the device analyis failed part way through. As a result, the support ticket is incomplete. It does show the new drive has only 17 tape motion hours on it. The library drive/media log does not show any drive or media errors with the new drive.

If you could do us a favor, we'll get to root cause on the LTT error. In the Options -> Prefences dialog of the tool, turn on 'Add I/O history'; it is a check box. Then run the device analysis test that fails. Then close the application. Collect the file called 'EventLog.ltt' in the logs subfolder of L&TT. Email this file to ltt_team@hp.com, and we will see what the problem is. Also tell us which OS version/SP and HBA you are using.

- the LTT team
The journey IS the reward.
Mark Sneddon

Eventlog.ltt file from HP L&TT utility attached, as requested (using add'l I/O history preference).

OS ver: Windows 2000 Server SP3
HBA: Compaq dual-ch wide ultra2 SCSI

L&TT ver: 2.9

L&TT script vers:
v2.9.30.09.2002
v2.7.30.07.2002

Problem has mysteriously disappeared. All tests complete w/o error, and return a normal "test passed" result. No changes made to server software, OS, SP, backup sftwe, SCSI HBA, nor to HP library.

Would running L&TT with add'l I/O pref cause this? I doubt it, but tests that errored out all of last week w/ 1014 "invalid bit requested" are now OK.

Consider case closed.
Mark Sneddon

Eventlog.ltt file from HP L&TT utility attached, as requested (using add'l I/O history preference).

OS ver: Windows 2000 Server SP3
HBA: Compaq dual-ch wide ultra2 SCSI

L&TT ver: 2.9

L&TT script vers:
v2.9.30.09.2002
v2.7.30.07.2002

Problem has mysteriously disappeared. All tests complete w/o error, and return a normal "test passed" result. No changes made to server software, OS, SP, backup sftwe, SCSI HBA, nor to HP library.

Would running L&TT with add'l I/O pref cause this? I doubt it, but tests that errored out all of last week w/ 1014 "invalid bit requested" are now OK. Chalk up as another one of those interesting technical problems which may elude logical explanation.

Consider case closed.