1751766 Members
4785 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C7497A DDS-4 Tape Drive

Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

C7497A DDS-4 Tape Drive

Does anyone happen to know where one could buy a C7497A DDS-4 tape drive for the HP tape array 5300. I have tried HP (new & re-marketed), other HP resellers such as my self, Ebay, Google searches, and a few other on line wholesalers / inventory posting sites with no luck. These things seem to be a tough cookie to locate. If anyone knows of a company or individual that I can obtain one from, please let me know. I cant use any substitutions, its got to be the C7497A

Thanks for your help
Jesse
Cypress Technology Inc
jesse@cypress-tech.com
5 REPLIES 5
Andy Weeks
Occasional Advisor

The C7497A has been superseded by the C7497B, which is the HP StorageWorks branded version with a Carbon Black front panel (C7497A was HP Surestore branded and had a flint grey front panel). Other than the branding changes, there are no significant differences between these products.
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

the B's are just as difficult to find as the A's... HP (new) back ordered until June
Andy Weeks
Occasional Advisor

I have checked the supply chain and there are no apparent hold ups with supply of C7497B from the manufacturing site. Therefore I can only assume that there is some issue with the regional distribution. This may be an issue locally rather than all regions. Sorry I cannot be of more help.
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Andy, thanks for following up on this issue. I ended up ordering the C7497A from HP by the part number C7497-69201, its the same drive but for some reason you can get the C7497-69201 but not the C7497A, Go figure. And wouldn't you know it, as soon as I pay list price for one of these, I found two in
the used market a lot cheaper.
Andy Weeks
Occasional Advisor

Jesse, this is still weird, I am being told the product is readilly available. The part number you purchased is the field-support version, but as you correctly say it is basically the same product with a different part number! Glad you got fixed in the end.