1751887 Members
4823 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can I attach two HP server with MLS6060 library

Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

You do not need to build a SAN to share the drives between 2 servers. You can use the FC/SCSI bridge.
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Jeonqbae,

As I mentioned above, You'll need 2 NSRs to support the 4 drives. You could connect 1 NSR to each server, but that would only allow each server to access 2 of the drives.

If you weren't planning to go with a SAN in the future, I would simply go scsi all the way.

That would save you the cost of the HBAs in the server and two NSRs. You'd still need scsi ports in the servers and cables.

The scsi approach would provide the same connectivity as fiber to two NSRs.

Without the SAN switch, you cannot share drives between server.

I that that back. You might be able to use a AL loop topology to connect the NSR and an HBA in each server. I'm not sure if this is supported or how you would cable it.

Anyone, have any thoughts on an AL with two servers and an NSR?
Jeongbae Min
Advisor

Thank you all for continuous input.

I talked with one of 3rd party vendor and their tech person tell me that the tape library has one Fiber port to handle two Ultrium drives and to handle 3rd and 4th Ultrium drives I need to have MSL e1200 Fiber Kit.

So, The library has two fiber ports which can be connected to both server.

Below is the list of part name.
HP MSL6060 2 Ult 960 Dr FC Tape Library
MSL e1200-160 Fibre Card Kit.

Do you think it is right statement?

Thank you

Jeongbae
Scott McIntosh_2
Honored Contributor

You have Ultrium960 tape drives in your MSL? I would think more than one tape drive per e1200-160 is overly optimistic.

I would think you'd need four NSR's (that's what the fibre cards are called, and I do not know if any actually come "with" the MSL) to support four Ultrium960 tape drives.

I believe we finally have a FC-native Ultrium960 drive. Would you not be getting those in your MSL?

Looking at that part list, looks like you're getting a two-drive MSL which comes with one NSR, and adding a second. Which would be one drive per NSR. The robotics would connect to one NSR, thus one server would control the robotics and each server would have a specific drive for it to use directly.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Scott:

I think the ESL libraries support native FC drives but based on the last spec sheet the MSL is still scsi.

I was also concerned about driving two
LTO-3 drives through a single NSR, but that is how the configuration guide and MSL options are set up.

If HP is going to update this, Please let me know.