StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use HP cartrdges/tapes on Sony AIT-2 Turbo?

Highlighted
Oleksandr Chernii
Occasional Visitor

Can I use HP cartrdges/tapes on Sony AIT-2 Turbo?

Hello to all!

I live In Ukraine and I own Sony AIT-2 Turbo IDE Drive for 3 years.

I've bought pack of TAIT2-80N and now all of them are full of information. Unfortunatelly now in Ukraine are not any TAIT tapes at all.

Could you tell about compatibility of Sony cartridges for this drive and any HP cartridges (for example Q1998A or Q1999A)?
Or I can use only Sony's Sony's TAIT's (TAITE-20N, TAIT1-40N, TAIT1-40C, TAIT2-80N, TAIT2-80C) and SDX tapes (SDX1-25C, SDX1-35C, SDX2-36C, SDX2-50C, SDX2-50W)?

Thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Re: Can I use HP cartrdges/tapes on Sony AIT-2 Turbo?

If your tape drive is an AIT-format AIT-2 with native 50GB, 100GB with compression, you need Q1998A, which HP lists as a "100GB with 2:1 compression" capacity tape.

If your tape drive is an AIT-3 with native 100GB, 200GB with 2:1 compression, you need Q1999A.

I have never used a TAIT drive, and I don't know how -- or if -- they differ from the 'generic' AIT format.

I do know that the SDX media was interchangeable with the AIT media in the SONY-OEM AIT drives that Compaq sold before the HP/Compaq merger.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Highlighted
Oleksandr Chernii
Occasional Visitor

Turbo AIT drives differ from the 'generic' AIT format.
"Sony breaks new performance ground in the low end drive space with AIT-2 Turbo. Based on proven, standard AIT drives, this model doubles the native performance of AIT-2 (from 6MB/s to 12 MB/s), and increases native capacity an incredible 60% (from 50GB to up to 80 GB). AIT-2 Turbo also offers a number of unique features, including WORM. In addition, AIT-2 Turbo offers the ability to choose between media with the performance enhancing MIC chip, or lower cost media without the MIC chip. AIT-2 Turbo serves up three times the performance and twice the capacity of DAT72, and the flexibility of SCSI, ATAPI, USB, FireWire, and SATA versions." http://www.disk-media.com/AIT.htm
Highlighted
thomasr
Respected Contributor

See the compatibility chart at http://www.tapeandmedia.com/detail.asp?product_id=TAIT1-40C

You should be able to use either AIT-2 or AIT-2 Turbo tapes in your drive. HP manufactures AIT-1, AIT-2, and AIT-3 tapes.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence